🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Testimonial not approved by UpWork
Page options
bf5d1a8b
Community Member

Client Testimonial not approved by UpWork

Hello
I'm joining what seems to be like a long line of freelancers whose testimonials from clients outside of UpWork have not been approved because the clients contact details 'could not be verified'. I provided both my client's email address and one of his two LinkedIn profiles (he is a professor at two separate universities.) A quick google search of his name will confirm that he is a renowned historian with several publications under his belt. My client was kind enough to take the time out of his busy schedule to write me a testimonial for the copy-editing work I did for him last year. The project was a major step forward for me in terms of my freelancing career. I am baffled as to why this testimonial was not approved and the fact that I have wasted my client's time with this, is embarrassing. I hope you can resolve this issue and approve the testimonial. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Akbal,

We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients. You can send requests to clients you've worked with in past.

To ensure the trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. 

You can use your profile overview or portfolio section to include endorsements and testimonials from people you worked with outside of Upwork. Make sure not to share any private or contact information.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123

Hi Chad,

I'm sorry to hear your Testimonial was not approved. To ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cuhl
Community Member

WHY would I waste my time sending more clients to review my work and waste their time. If you can't confirm this first client then you can't confirm any of them obviously. This is a real client of mine and The contact details were correct. If you could tell me why it wans't approved that would help but you don't tell us why or ask for further proof. See the picture I posted on twitter. Your process seems to be significantly flawed. I would like to speak with someone else or a manager about fixing this asap.

tweet yesterdaytweet yesterday 

Hi Chad,

We understand how frustrating it can be when things don't work as expected. We're aware of your concern and are taking it seriously. Since you were able to escalate your case to a support ticket, one of our knowledgeable agents will be in touch with you shortly to provide the help you need here. Rest assured that we're committed to resolving your issue. We would appreciate your patience and understanding while we sort this out for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e880aecb
Community Member

Hey Chad,

I'm dealing with the same problem.

If you are provided with a solution, please let me know because it's extremely frustrating.

Regards,

Shaheer Almas 

411d5d59
Community Member

I wanted a testimonial from one of my clients but I applied for it immediately after receiving payment from him and he gave me the testimonial then Upwork declined my application and said they don't find enough proof. Now I can't apply for a testimonial again to that client. It says I already applied for it. what can I do now?

Hi Wahiduzzaman,

To ensure trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients when we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client.

~Andrea
Upwork
411d5d59
Community Member

Can you tell me about sufficient evidence? In details. What needed?

28e74d56
Community Member

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my disappointment regarding the rejection of my review. I have noticed a pattern of similar experiences shared by other users who have faced the same issue, and it seems that my testimonial from a satisfied client has also been denied.

I want to emphasize that my client is a reputable freelancer on Upwork, with a valid LinkedIn page and easily verifiable email address. Despite these credentials, the testimonial provided by this client was inexplicably rejected for reasons that appear to be quite vague.

I have sought assistance from your chat support section and chat bot, but unfortunately, they have not been able to provide me with satisfactory answers on how to resolve this issue. It is worth noting that the information I included in my testimonial aligns precisely with the guidelines recommended by Upwork's support hub and chat bot.

Regrettably, these frustrations and unresolved problems are causing unnecessary stress, leaving me and many others contemplating the decision to explore alternative platforms. I believe that addressing this matter promptly and transparently will help restore faith in your platform and retain loyal users.

I kindly request you to reconsider the rejection of my review and provide clearer guidelines to ensure a fair and consistent review process. Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear your Testimonial was not approved. We totally understand how important this is for you. Please be reminded that to ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only support testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. We may have needed more time to find enough information in this case. You can try requesting another from a different client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e880aecb
Community Member

Hi, I'm new to upwork but I have been working offline with various clients for over 2 years.

One of my clients pushed me to start upwork so I can get more clients to work with and expand my portfolio.

I submitted a request for a testimonial which he filled from his side.

However upwork rejected the testimonial without any explanation.

I can prove I'm working with my client.

I have emails where I have sent him work.

He has a LinkedIn profile and a Google search will result in him on top of the page.

He's a pretty well known travel vlogger.

I have receipts of transactions.

I want to know how can I get that testimonial which was not approved by upwork 

Hi Shaheer,

I understand your concern about your rejected testimonial request. To ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only support testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. We may have needed more time to find enough information in this case. You can try requesting another from a different client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hey Anne,

My proposal was not approved without any reason and I'm saying I can provide upwork the proof and receipts.

Most clients are too busy to care about giving a testimonial in the first place.

I have asked others for testimonials but it seems like a recurring problem. If upwork keeps on not approving testimonials.

What's the point of asking for them in the first place ?

If you need anything on my behalf that can speed up the process or help it in getting approved, let me know and I'll provide that to you.

Regards,

Shaheer Almas 

Hi Shaheer,

Apologies for the delayed reply. I've escalated your concern to the relevant team and can confirm that the testimonial is now approved. One of our agents also contacted you directly via a support ticket with more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
92415ec4
Community Member

I received an email stating that my testimonial was not approved, but my former colleague mentioned that he did not receive an email from Upwork asking for confirmed contact information.

[I sent **Edited for Community Guidelines** a screenshot of the Upwork notification email.]
I said: It seems that Upwork doesn't have a way to contact you for confirmation.
He replied: I haven't received their email.
I said: I'll ask customer service.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Garfield,

I am sorry to hear that your Testimonial request was not approved. As mentioned in the notification sent to you, it appears that we did not have sufficient evidence that the contact information of your client was valid. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Sorry Pradeep,

This is not an acceptable answer.

I request to be converted to a support ticket and I will provide the necessary information until resolved.

Also, due to Chinese policies, LinkedIn China has been having issues with LinkedIn on data sharing, and LinkedIn China has announced the closure of their local jobs app in China on August 9, 2023.

I am sorry to hear how you feel about my last response, Garfield. I understand how important it is to have a Testimonial from your past clients. 

We have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. To ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. We will be unable to review Testimonial requests with other information in case we are unable to reach your client on the contact information provided by you.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep,

My client told me that after he submitted his testimony, Upwork did not contact him by email or LinkedIn.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your last message, Garfield. I have followed up with the team to explain your situation and I see that one of our team members has already reached out to you via a support ticket. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
f118d1a0
Community Member

Hello, 
I have the same problem, I sent 2 request to clients I have been working for years, both have LinkedIn accounts that I summited with my request for a Testimonial, but both testimonials were regected, I need to know why, I don´t want to bother my clients again if I will end up with no testimonials anyways.
I tried  using the support ticket link you posted, but it´s not working.

Hi Diana,

I am sorry to hear that your Testimonial request was not approved. In general, testimonials are rejected when we don't have sufficient evidence that the contact information of your client was valid. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello,
I have sent 2 testimonial requests to clients I have been working with for years, both have LinkedIn accounts, which I attached with my testimonial request, but both testimonials were rejected.
I have proof of the work I have done for them, in fact I am attaching a couple of files of the work I have done for both of them.
I need to know why they were rejected, I followed Upwork's recommendations.
My clients are busy people who took time out of their day to write a testimonial, I don't want to ask my clients for testimonials again if I'm going to end up without testimonials anyway, or bother other clients if their testimonials are also going to get rejected for some reason that it is not clear at all.
Please help !

Community Member

Upwork didn't accept my clients' testimonials.What can I do?

try with another client. also, I think, Client"s LinkedIn Address must be old.

Tural Babashov
coderfirst
Community Member

Hi Mohammad Safiqur,
We are writing to inform you that Jonathan’s testimonial was not approved.
To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. Thank you for your understanding. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

Hi Mohammad,

I am sorry to hear about your testimonial request was not approved. It looks like we were unable to valid the contact information of your client. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

- Pradeep

Upwork
92f949de
Community Member

Hello, 

I asked a client outside of Upwork to provide me with a testimonial. I was hit with the reason for not passing validation as "To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid."

I provided his official email address and his linkedin link. The form had not asked for any other contact details. He received the email notification on his official email account (name@companyname.com.bd) and clicked through and provided his tesitmony. I dont know how else he or I could provide more contact details. I can also provide his phone number if that helps. I need the testimony to help in my freelance growth. Please help me to approve the testimonial.

Hi Mahmud,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I understand that you have provided your client's official email address and LinkedIn link, but unfortunately, it appears that we were unable to verify the contact information. We take the trust and quality of our marketplace very seriously, and we need to ensure that the contact information is valid. You can try requesting a Testimonial from a different client.

- Pradeep

Upwork

That's unfortunate but I understand. Thank you. 

Community Member

I applied for testimonial a week ago suddenly my testimonial request gone but I didn't get any reply from upwork. let me know about this issuse.  

Hi Mohamed,

I am sorry to hear that your testimonial request was not approved. It looks like we were unable to validate the contact information of your client. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork

I provided both my client's email address and her LinkedIn profile. A quick google search of her name will confirm that.I am baffled as to why this testimonial was not approved and the fact that I have wasted my client's time with this, is embarrassing. I hope you can resolve this issue and approve the testimonial. Thank you.

Hi Mohamed,

To ensure trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients when we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information.

We have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. To better ensure the integrity of our review, we do not share the details of our process.

You can try requesting another from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork
742a4841
Community Member

Even if the testimonial wasn't approved, I still feel like we should be able to download a copy of it. If you're just not gonna approve a testimonial with company email, linkedin account, proof of project, etc. I should at least be able to use the testimonial my client wrote for me for my own website or other services outside of Upwork.

f1f5361d
Community Member

Hello, I would like to ask Upwork for my testimonial from a client to be approved. We have proof of our working relationship, we've even first met on Upwork and started working since the summer of this year on many different platforms, and I am ashamed in front of him now because I kindly asked him privately to send me an endorsement, and it is not accepted. The additional problem is, I can't resend him a new request with him adding a proof, also, I can't reachout directly to Upwork support team so I can ask them for help. Can anybody help me?

Hi Jovan,

If you really worked with that client, the testimonial should be accepted. 

Process is easy. 

You have to send a request for testimonial from your Upwork profile. 

Then ask the client about the request. He/she will give you a feedback/ testimonial.

Best regards

Hi Jovan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

If you have worked with him on Upwork, don't you have his feedback on Upwork already?

bf00625f
Community Member

Hi, Just thought of replying here instead of a starting a new thread.

I requested testimonials from two different clients, encouraged one to create a linkedin profile and other one was already on Linkedin. Yet my testimonials were rejected by Upwork. I know that the approval process cannot be disclosed, but I sincerely request Upwork team to manually review it because it is the only work I've done so far but the team is rejecting to approve those testimonials. 

Hi Fahad,

I am sorry to hear that your testimonial requests were not approved. It looks like we were unable to validate the contact information of your clients. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members