🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ask me to use my card to try is websit...
Page options
norita44
Community Member

Client ask me to use my card to try is website

Hi

I just got a proposition of a client asking me to go register in his website and put 10 euros in the account created ( that he will pay me in the contract ) . He said he needs me to check if there are bug in the process.

I'm not sure i can use my personnal credit card apart of upwork ...??

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Nora B wrote:

I'm not sure i can use my personnal credit card apart of upwork ...?

Of course not!

Never use your own money or card - how would you even know that the "client" isn't just after your card info to go shopping with?

norita44
Community Member

Yes that's why it's concerning ! Seems like a legit upwork client but i ll refuse

It is payment outside of upwork and can get you suspended. 

petra_r
Community Member

Genuine clients with a genuine website that has a payment gateway would have a "dummy" card or would give you a virtual credit card with €10 on it. They wouldn't expect you to pay with your own card, that simply isn't how it's done.

I've had this before and never did a client expect me to use my own or any real money.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Nora:
Testing websites, including testing payment systems, is a legitimate type of work that clients hire freelancers to do.

If YOU were the client, what would YOU do?

You would PROVIDE a test credit card account number to the people testing your system, right?

You would wouldn't ask them to use their own credit card or their own money.

And that is what real clients (not scammers) do: Payment gateway systems such as Stripe have "sandbox" accounts and test credit card account numbers that work with those sandbox/testing/development systems.

You would provide a test account, or possibly even a real account number, to the people testing your system. That is how you can tell if you are talking to a scammer or a real client.

roberty1y
Community Member

Some guy's hoping for your credit card details as a Christmas present. You'll have to play Scrooge on this one.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members