🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asked for SSN, Bank Statement, Tax for...
Page options
c339572f
Community Member

Client asked for SSN, Bank Statement, Tax forms for IBO form

Hi, 

I am new to UpWork and I was very excited about this proposal but the client asked for a lot of personal information to get started to process their payments. Is this a scam and what should i do?  I want to move forward but not if it's a scam. I also want other's to be aware. I hope to here from somone soon. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bobafett999
Community Member

Run away Anaria as fast as you can

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bobafett999
Community Member

Run away Anaria as fast as you can

Thank you, I did! 🙂 God bless you. 

the-right-writer
Community Member

It's a scam. When something like this happens, make sure to report it to Upwork. Good for you for insisting it be on Upwork, but that's where it should have stopped. Then, when they set up an outrageous amount for the budget, but only funded $5.00, that was another bright red flag that this person is a thief. They tease and lure you with the promise of a great job or ongoing work. Then when they are reminded of Upwork's rules, either they don't follow them or they do it in a grudging, only partial way.

Please, if you haven't before, go through the Terms of Service and every link in this post. 

The screenshots show typical scammer behavior. They keep after you to do something unethical/illegal/against the Terms of Service and want to have the money and other dealings outside of Upwork. All the words are typical and designed to make you think you are losing out on an amazing amount of money and maybe future employment. If you had continued to work with this person, you would have lost time, effort, and all the money.

Hi, appreciate your response and I am taking your advice. You are right, I would have and I am glad I listended to my instinct. It was major red flags and I should of stopped a long time ago, sadly i was giving them the benfit of the doubt. God bless you and Thank you again! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members