🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for work prior to final Milesto...
Page options
andrealivs
Community Member

Client asking for work prior to final Milestone

Hello. I have a question. I have never had this happen on Upwork. I have completed 3 milestones for a client and a lot of additional work has been added on. Instead of creating a final 4th milestone he created two different ones (ex: a 4th milestone for 500.00 and a 5th for 600.00) He requested that I submit all of my work in the 4th milestone and then he would just pay me for the 5th one. I was not comfortable with that and suggested we just divide up the work and I get paid for each milestone. He shot back with a fairly nasty reply. I will finish this job for him, however I am concerned about my ratings and client feedback with this person. If someone like this is writing a review of my work what should I do? I always guarantee my work and have never recieved less than 5 stars. I guess what I am wondering is if I can contact someone prior to ending this job so that it is documented that he tried to get me to submit work and also had a not so nice reply to me about trying to stay within the guidlelines of Upwork.  Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrea - It sounds to me as if that client wants to get out of paying the last milestone. I would stick to the milestones, if I were you. Also, you have 100% JSS and you are top rated. If that client should leave you bad feedback, you can use your perk and delete it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

As a freelancer, you are to deliver all work to the client that is funded in escrow.

Do NOT work on anything that isn't funded.

If there is a task to "draw a picture of a cat" for $20. Then you draw the cat. Send the file to the client. Then the client releases the money for that milestone.

If the client wants to you do additional work, the client needs to fund escrow payments for that additional work.

re: "He requested that I submit all of my work in the 4th milestone and then he would just pay me for the 5th one."

What do you mean? That doesn't make any sense.

You need to do the work for the 4th milestone, and then you need to send it to the client, and then the client needs to release payment for that milestone.

AFTER the client has released money for the 4th milestone, then the client needs to fully fund the 5h milestone. And then you may begin work on the 5th milestone.

This is NOT complicated.

If the client has a question about this, then invite them to come to this thread and discuss the matter with us.

This is what I told him. To divide up the work into two sections and that I wouldn't submit all of the work prior to getting paid for the last chunk of it. He did not seem to like this and my concern now is that he will write a bad review. I definitely won't submit anything until it is funded! I am wondering if there is anyone to contact to report this incident or document it so he can't leave me a bad review 

Andrea L wrote:

This is what I told him. To divide up the work into two sections and that I wouldn't submit all of the work prior to getting paid for the last chunk of it. 

Sorry, I'm confused by this part. It sounds like you're refusing to release the work until the last payment is funded, is this correct? This might be just a simple misunderstanding if the client thinks that you're asking for full payment before he has received the completed job. (Forgive me if I got all of this backwards.)

I am actually talking about not submitting all of the work at once. I asked him to create one milestone for (example) 1100.00. He said he would rather create two (one for 500 and one for 600) and wanted me to submit all of the work prior to paying me for the first milestone (the 500.00 one) He said then he would go ahead and just pay me for the last one after all of my work was submitted under the 500.00 milestone. Its very bizarre and Im not sure why it matters to him, but he did lash out at me when I suggested I give him half of the work with the first milestone and half with the second. Needless to say I will not be working with him again any time in the near future. 

re: "I guess what I am wondering is if I can contact someone prior to ending this job so that it is documented that he tried to get me to submit work and also had a not so nice reply to me about trying to stay within the guidlelines of Upwork."

There is no "Proactively Avoid Poor Feedback" button, if that's what you wondering.

re: "I am wondering if there anyone to cotact to report this incident or document it so he can't leave me a bad review"

No. Sorry.

Anyway, you don't know how he will review you. I'm not convinced he will give you a bad review

Not looking for an "avoid prior feedback button" What I am looking for is a way to document clients trying to go outside of Upwork guidelines so that I can have something to show if things go south.

Nothing you have described in this thread is actionable.

And Upwork is reluctant to interfere with the feedback process.

You can't present evidence that the client suggested using the fixed-price system differently than how I say it should be used, and expect Upwork to change a client's feedback.

You have a couple of milestones left to do on this project. And it is your intention to do them. My hope is that by the time all of that is done, the client will be solidly on your side and grateful for the work that you did. Any feedback he leaves will reflect that.

Andrea - It sounds to me as if that client wants to get out of paying the last milestone. I would stick to the milestones, if I were you. Also, you have 100% JSS and you are top rated. If that client should leave you bad feedback, you can use your perk and delete it.

Thank you thank you! This is exactly what I was wondering. I wasn't aware of the fact that I had the option to delete it or use a perk (which I am not familiar with) I will look into this! 

resultsassoc
Community Member

Andrea,

The only part of this that smells bad to me is the nasty note, but that's significant. I have an arrangement with my default editor that she takes two or three months to deliver an edit of a book and I pay her in the number of installments that equals those months. I don't ask for anything before the end of the third month, however. She is doing me a favor, and I know it. I do this for cash management purposes.

You're a chef/nutritionist/food person whose work I don't understand, which is why I might hire you some day. You need to document this in the work room in a professional manner. Perhaps you could indicate in your delivery note that you are delivering both milestones before the final one is paid because it's your practice to do what you can to help your clients succeed. I would let him wallow in the mud all alone; joining him there will result in a large load of reputation laundry for you. It's not fair, but if you want fair join a convent or monastery; freelancing isn't fair.

Putting your client's success ahead of your own financial interests represents the best in consulting, although it's discouraged by Upwork. I hope this client eventually realizes that you are doing him a favor and does not harm your business in any way. If he does, file a complaint and open a dispute. First set up a GoFundMe page to help finance the dispute; I'll be the first to contribute,.I know a few dozen others who'd also be glad to help.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members