🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asks freelancers to set up the environ...
Page options
ljubob
Community Member

Client asks freelancers to set up the environment before getting them hired

I applied to a job and got invited for the interview. I noticed that client invited 32 people for the interview, and there was 20 - 50 applicants, so perhaps he invited everyone. He then sent Jira and Bitbucket invitations and instructions on how to set up local environment in order to get tickets to work on. I asked how long it takes to set up the environment, but he never responded. I didn't want to start working before I get the contract and I wanted to clarify that first, but since he stopped responding, I said that I am withdrawing my application and that I noticed that he asked people to work for free. FInally, he responded saying that he waited for me to set up the environment, in order to give me tickets, so I can start working like all others. Basically, all otrher developers accepted this game, to spend meaningful time working for free. 

All I wanted is to alert everyone who thinks this is normal to stop responding to such requests. Please, do not do any free work. As a matter of fact, it is against Upwork ToS and you should report anyone who asks for free work - be it test project, setting up or whatever.

1 REPLY 1
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for reporthing this Ljubomir,

Could you also please send me a PM with the job link or title so that our team can investigate it further and take proper actions? 

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members