Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client disabled manula time

vpuller
Ace Contributor
Vadim P Member Since: Apr 21, 2020
21 of 39

@JenniferR I didn't say that he is actually blackmailing me. But it seems obvious to everyone in this thread that I will suffer, if I do not comply with his demands.

michelle-trevino
Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
22 of 39

I agree with you. Not everyone uses the time tracker, myself included, but what would bother me is a client making changes to the contract without talking to me first. That's just unprofessional especially given such a long relationship. I would email the client and say that you would like to finish out the contract in the manner that it was started—with manual time enabled. Put the ball back in their court. Also, I don't like to think of people being held hostage to reviews. As you said, you will be able to state your case when the time comes.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
23 of 39

Michelle T wrote:

I agree with you. Not everyone uses the time tracker, myself included, but what would bother me is a client making changes to the contract without talking to me first. That's just unprofessional especially given such a long relationship. I would email the client and say that you would like to finish out the contract in the manner that it was started—with manual time enabled. Put the ball back in their court. Also, I don't like to think of people being held hostage to reviews. As you said, you will be able to state your case when the time comes.

If a freelancer works on an hourly contract using manual time and the client subsequently chooses to dispute that manual time (refusing to pay it), the freelancer does not get paid. If I were already suspicious that a client was planning to fire me or was unhappy with my work, I certainly would not continue to work and bill hours to the client using manual time. I would want to take the necessary steps to ensure that I would be paid for my work, including recording my hours using the time tracker. 

michelle-trevino
Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
24 of 39

Tonya P wrote:

Michelle T wrote:

If a freelancer works on an hourly contract using manual time and the client subsequently chooses to dispute that manual time (refusing to pay it), the freelancer does not get paid. If I were already suspicious that a client was planning to fire me or was unhappy with my work, I certainly would not continue to work and bill hours to the client using manual time. I would want to take the necessary steps to ensure that I would be paid for my work, including recording my hours using the time tracker. 

For those of us who rarely use the time tracker, we know the risks. If you have a difficult client, I'd cut the contract off sooner rather than later. It's not worth the hassle of working with someone who is changing the contract without notice or who might dispute hours. All you can do is remain professional and move on from those types of clients.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
25 of 39

Vadim P wrote:

@JenniferR I didn't say that he is actually blackmailing me. But it seems obvious to everyone in this thread that I will suffer, if I do not comply with his demands.

You didn't?
Screenshot_2020-04-22 Client disabled manula time.png

vpuller
Ace Contributor
26 of 39

@JenniferR I suppose "effectively" is a false translator's friend. What I mean is that I have to comply or risk a bad review, and it is obvious to everyone.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 39

Vadim P wrote:

@ChristineA, @JenniferR
This conflict obviously has a history: the client and I have disagreed previously, and a few weeks ago I informed him about my desire to cease the collaboration. He however insisted that there was no one who was capable of doing it except me, and I continued - partially out of moral obligation, and partially to avoid escalating the tensions. Now, that he seems to have found a replacement for me, his behavior looks like a provocation. I could swallow pride and provide him with a commented code... but will it save me from a negative review?

Another thing: I will also review him. I wonder to what extent an established client is able to dissimulate a negative review.

lol you mad that he played you while he found a replacement. Well played, client. That's how it's done.

vpuller
Ace Contributor
28 of 39

@JenniferM I am not mad. I don't like mind games. I prefer clear agreements and clear assignments, and everybody respecting their part of the deal.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 39

Vadim P wrote:

@JenniferM I am not mad. I don't like mind games. I prefer clear agreements and clear assignments, and everybody respecting their part of the deal.

lol yes you are, you got played. Nothing against the rules for lying and playing on people's egos. lol

vpuller
Ace Contributor
30 of 39

@JenniferM
I don't see how I got played. I told him that I wanted out of the project, and he found a replacement. That's normal. That he subotages the handover by trying to irritate me is stupid. He however put me in a dilemma: whether to stand up to him for the principle and the community, or to cave in to avoid a bad review.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS