🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ghosting mid-contract
Page options
redkimono13
Community Member

Client ghosting mid-contract

Hi all, I'd welcome some advice here. I am currently mid-contract which is a fixed fee/milestone project. We have successfully completed 1 milestone on the contract. Milestone 2 was funded in escrow by them yesterday after I asked them to do so before continuing work. We have been working well together with about a 4-6hr lead time for their feedback on my deliverables. 

As of today I haven't heard from them since this Monday 9pm local time, and they set a deadline for the current milestone of this Friday. I reached out this morning saying I need their input before I can continue the project (also asking if they're ok), with no response. They have no native files of mine, just PDF drafts I sent. Based on their response times, I don't see how I can finish the milestone in time.

What should I do? I've put in about half the time estimated to complete the milestone. Should I wait it out? Cancel the contract citing lack of communication and just eat the lost revenue? Am I being too antsy about it?

I'm a top-rated seller and don't want to lose my rating based on something out of my control.

Any help is most welcome. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Personally id say things happen sometimes. The deadline date for the milestone is for you and your client anyway, so if it ends up extended because they were slow to communicate its between the two of you.

I think you have done the right thing messaging them, asking if they are OK, but now you just need to wait. 

If they remain uncommunicative then at some point I would submit what work you have managed for payment. (You can always request a lower amount after you click submit for payment if you feel its fair).

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, a client asked for some work, I completed half the work, got some feedback from the client, adapted the work and finished it all but got no response from the client. I just submitted for payment and got paid when the review time expired, to this day I have no idea what happened! I did leave a message after the funds were released saying that I was aware 'things happen' and that if they required any reasonable alterations to the work that I would usually undertake id be more than happy to complete them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Personally id say things happen sometimes. The deadline date for the milestone is for you and your client anyway, so if it ends up extended because they were slow to communicate its between the two of you.

I think you have done the right thing messaging them, asking if they are OK, but now you just need to wait. 

If they remain uncommunicative then at some point I would submit what work you have managed for payment. (You can always request a lower amount after you click submit for payment if you feel its fair).

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, a client asked for some work, I completed half the work, got some feedback from the client, adapted the work and finished it all but got no response from the client. I just submitted for payment and got paid when the review time expired, to this day I have no idea what happened! I did leave a message after the funds were released saying that I was aware 'things happen' and that if they required any reasonable alterations to the work that I would usually undertake id be more than happy to complete them.

These are great suggestions I'll happily take Jonathan, thank you! I'll be patient and wait till Friday comes and goes if there is no communication. I'll then alter the milestone fee to reflect the work done thus far, submit the deliverables as they stand now, and request payment.

Your solution makes perfect sense. I totally get that "things happen", and want to be respectful of the client and whatever their situation is; offer further help when/if they need it. They've been good to work with thus far despite the long-ish review lead times.

Again thanks for the solid advice and taking the time to help!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members