🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is blackmailing me and not ending cont...
Page options
anower-jahan
Community Member

Client is blackmailing me and not ending contract.

I got trouble with my current client. He hired me to design a website as per his designs as he is a designer. After starting work, he revealed that he subcontracts work and this is also a client's work. As a result, he was not fully sure about client needs and deliver feedbacks after doing a lot of work. As a result, I had to change some work from scratch. Besides, due to his low technical knowledge, he pushed me to deliver on the fly. However, I followed almost all and submitted the milestone. He accepted it checking all the changes and release funds. I decided not to work with him anymore and asked to end the contract but now he is blackmailing me for feedback and saying to change designs again as his client is not liking it. What should I do? If I end the contract it'll affect my JSS. Feeling really helpless.

8 REPLIES 8
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Another freelancer who feels trapped by the JSS feedback system and an unethical client.

Something needs to change here.

I am facing the same issue upwork should have some policy on it why we freelancers always get afraid from JSS and being blackmailed

This causes anxiety

Hi Abdul,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this client, please include screenshots of any violation you'd like to report. I'll escalate your report and our team will investigate it further.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Abdul W wrote:
I am facing the same issue upwork should have some policy on it why we freelancers always get afraid from JSS and being blackmailed

This causes anxiety

Any business can get a bad review. Sometimes, they're unfair. It sucks when that happens, but it's part of being in business for yourself instead of having a job. 

lysis10
Community Member

If he said it in the workroom, you can try to report it but if he said something like "this job isn't finished I need you to fix it before I close the contract," you might be screwed. He shouldn't have released the milestone, but he can dispute for 30 days. 

It's gonna affect your JSS so it's probably not going to work out for you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anower,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that for you and escalate to the correct team for further investigation.

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
maggiedacut1422
Community Member

Screenshot the conversion where he threatened you and report it to Upwork Support.
tlbp
Community Member

Zombie thread.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members