🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is not making contract
Page options
4ed1bb62
Community Member

Client is not making contract

One of my client is asking to do the work and she is saying that after I do some part of the work, then she'll send me a contract. Should I continue the work? Or is she a fraud? Although she has good ratings and amount spend shown on her profile is also good.

Please guide me what should I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client is not making contract"
That is fine.
A prospective client is not required to make a contract.

re: "One of my client is asking to do the work and she is saying that after I do some part of the work, then she'll send me a contract."

Well, no, this is NOT "one of your clients." This is a prospective client who has talked to you about her project. But this is NOT your client.

If there is no contract, this is not your client, and you should not do any work.

If she says that you should do part of the work, and then she will send you a contract, then she is violating Upwork ToS. She is asking you to work for free.

re: "Should I continue the work?"

Of course you should not continue the work.

You should not have started the work at all.

re: "Or is she a fraud?"

It doesn't matter if she is a fraud or not.

You can't get paid without a contract.

You should not start working without a contract.

re: "Please guide me what should I do?"

Don't argue with her. Just tell her that you will be happy to start working on the project after a contract is in place.

If she does not make a contract, then IGNORE everything she says until a contract is in place. Don't answer questions. Don't engage in conversation. She needs to set up a contract.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
6955b48e
Community Member

Hi Drishti, I am so sorry you are experiecing a situation like this. I just had a similar one and highly recommend to not do any work until you have a contract. What your client is proposing is actually against the Upwork ToS (asking you to work for free). You might give her the benefit of the doubt and just let her know. But since she is experienced she probably knows very well. Cheers Iris

Okay, Thank you

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client is not making contract"
That is fine.
A prospective client is not required to make a contract.

re: "One of my client is asking to do the work and she is saying that after I do some part of the work, then she'll send me a contract."

Well, no, this is NOT "one of your clients." This is a prospective client who has talked to you about her project. But this is NOT your client.

If there is no contract, this is not your client, and you should not do any work.

If she says that you should do part of the work, and then she will send you a contract, then she is violating Upwork ToS. She is asking you to work for free.

re: "Should I continue the work?"

Of course you should not continue the work.

You should not have started the work at all.

re: "Or is she a fraud?"

It doesn't matter if she is a fraud or not.

You can't get paid without a contract.

You should not start working without a contract.

re: "Please guide me what should I do?"

Don't argue with her. Just tell her that you will be happy to start working on the project after a contract is in place.

If she does not make a contract, then IGNORE everything she says until a contract is in place. Don't answer questions. Don't engage in conversation. She needs to set up a contract.

Thank you for the suggestion.

tlsanders
Community Member

Someone who has not made a contract is not a client. They are under no obligation to pay you, and probably won't. You should never do any work without a contract.

Okay., Thank you

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members