🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is not releasing payment
Page options
April V Community Member

Client is not releasing payment

What would you all do if your client is not releasing first payment. I've asked several times and he is not complying with the our agreement. The balance of the job is almost due and I'm really torn with not turning the final over untill he pays somethingmore
7 REPLIES 7
Frank B Community Member

If the money is in escrow, I would submit for payment.

Then after 14 days, it gets released. Unless the client can change that. 

I've had a couple clients just let it go the 14 days.

April V Community Member

That has come and gone. Upwork has not released the payment. That's why I'm asking 

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi April,

I checked the contract you are referring to and can see that you resubmitted your work for payment recently before the payment could be released, restarting the 14-day timeframe the client has to review your submission. In the future, you do not need to resubmit your work for payment. If the funds don't get released after 14 days have passed, you can contact support to check what's happening.

At this point, you'll need to allow another 14 days from the date of your resubmission for the payment to get released automatically if the client doesn't respond to your messages. Feel free to check this article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
April V Community Member

I just emailed the client and basically said no ticky no tacky

April V Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

The problem with this 14 day system is it allows the client bad behavior. The client should either approve or not immediatly so we get paid in a timely manner. As you can see, now there's a problem. The job is scheduled to be completed this week and I still haven't gotten paid for the first milestone. If he had approved it 3 weeks ago when he originally received the layout things would be a-okay. FYI... this particular client asked to move the payment off upwork and I refused. That makes me even more suspicious I won't get paid. 

Christine A Community Member

wrote:
What would you all do if your client is not releasing first payment. I've asked several times and he is not complying with the our agreement. The balance of the job is almost due and I'm really torn with not turning the final over untill he pays somethingmore

That's not how this is done. You're supposed to send the work and then get paid, not hold the work hostage and threaten not to deliver it until the payment is released. The client has a right to check what you've done before they approve it. 

April V Community Member

Update...Client finally approved first milestone and apologized for not doing so in a timely manner. Yay!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members