🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client offered contract-but has not answered ...
Page options
dena-standley
Community Member

Client offered contract-but has not answered questions

I submitted a bid to a client who was seeking a freelance writer for an area I have some expertise in.  On Friday, the client sent me an offer.  However, the job description was vague and the offer did not contain any new details about the actual job.  I have several questions before accepting the contract, but so far, the client is unresponsive.  So, my question is, if the client does not respond, does it hurt JSS if you turn down a contract?  I also have another client that is all over the place due to personal issues.  He sets a deadline and then does not get me the information I need to do the job.  The client understands he didn't get me the information and is not complaining.  However, does this have the ability to effect JSS?  Sorry, I just had one client who did not understand the Upwork platform take my JSS from the upper 90's to the lower 70's so I am a bit paranoid now.  Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "So, my question is, if the client does not respond, does it hurt JSS if you turn down a contract?"

It does not hurt JSS.

Nothing you do on Upwork that is external to an actual contract can have an impact on your JSS.

===

Aside from that vital information, which answers your key question, I'll add a bit of personal strategy:

I'm actually pretty flexible when it come to agreeing to an HOURLY contract. I have accepted hourly contracts with clients who were completely unorganized and who really had no concrete plans at all... if I felt I could help them. There are GOOD clients out there who are good people and have real money to spend, but they need a thoughtful freelancer to help them formulate their plans better. If you think you're that person, then you can sign on to an hourly contract even if things are murky.

But for fixed-price contracts? I'm extremly STRICT. I need to have all of specific instructions, and all the input files, so that I can complete the contract without any further communication between myself and the client. If I have questions that haven't been answered? Then I will not agree to a fixed-price contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members