🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requested a refund after 3 hours start...
Page options
hoarman
Community Member

Client requested a refund after 3 hours starting the project, because his boss don't need the work.

I get a work offer from the client today after discussing the full project. After 3 hours, he ended the contract & requested a refund. Because his boss doesn't want the work right now. That's why he is asking for a refund. I understand it can happen.
It's a total 13 days contract, so I didn't start working on the project. So I don't have any problem with the Refund. But I'm worry about my profile JSS & other issues. If I give the full refund without dispute. Will it in any way affect my Upwork profile negatively? Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Preston, why are you telling him to close the contract? And to write something completely irrelevant to the  client? The client has already cancelled the contract. All the OP has to do is approve the request to return the escrow funds.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Don't worry about your JSS.

There will be no negative impact on yourJSS, because the client will be appreciative of the fact that you allowed him to get a full refund.

Because you did not do any work on the contract, the proper thing for you to do is to end the contract and issue a full refund.

Go now to the contract list. Click on the "three dots" icon. Select the option to "cancel contract" or "end contract" or "close contract."

This will refund all escrow money to the client.

Send a message to the client:
"Joshua: I closed the contract. I issued a complete refund. All of the money will be back in your funding account within five business days. You do not need to do anything else. I wish you well."

ETA:
This post has a recommendation for a freelancer whose client informally asked for a refund, but the contract is still open. Petra pointed out that the original poster's client ALREADY closed the contract, while submitting a formal refund request by editing the amount of money to be released to zero. That means that the only thing the orignal poster needs to do is agree to the refund request.

Preston, why are you telling him to close the contract? And to write something completely irrelevant to the  client? The client has already cancelled the contract. All the OP has to do is approve the request to return the escrow funds.

re: "Preston, why are you telling him to close the contract? And to write something completely irrelevant to the client? The client has already cancelled the contract. All the OP has to do is approve the request to return the escrow funds."

You're right.

I was only responding to the original poster's thread subject line, which said the client requested a refund.

My response only makes sense if the client informally requested a refund, such as in messages, but didn't actually close the contract.

I should have read the post more carefully, in which the original poster said that the client CLOSED THE CONTRACT and requested a full refund during that step.

Close contract and looking new free lance and get the amount you release the basically and get the money

petra_r
Community Member

Md Arman H wrote:

If I give the full refund without dispute. Will it in any way affect my Upwork profile negatively?

No, it won't, not at all (unless the client left poor private feedback, which he'd not have any reason to do)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members