🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client requested 'escrow refund' - confused
Page options
bowie125
Community Member

Client requested 'escrow refund' - confused

Advice, please.

My client has requested an ‘escrow refund’ to the amount of $310.

The job was completed successfully and came to a total of $140, which they paid.

I think what has happened is that they accidentally deposited too many funds into escrow to begin with?

This is what Upwork says about the job:

Budget

$140.00

In Escrow

$310.00

Milestones Paid

$140.00

Remaining

$0.00

Total Earnings

$140.00

If I refund the full amount, will this mean that I won’t get paid? Also, will this negatively impact my job score?

Upwork says I have seven days to respond. If I don’t, my client will automatically be refunded. The other option is to contest the amount. 

This has never happened before, and I am a little confused, so any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

Amelia H wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Jennifer. The escrow and job is quite recent - within the last month.

oh ok, I guess the client did ask for it back.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
7eb9f409
Community Member

Try to talk to the client about the situation 
if you are paid with your budget then you should not refund the amount. even if the client insists on a refund then try to make them understand that I have done my work I am not paid more than the initially decided budget but if they still insist than try to convenience her about a small refund so that you could still keep a small amount of money and try not to loos a client. because this job and payment is a short term you may get something bigger from them in a long term.
Thanks
Good bless you 
remember me in your prayer

lysis10
Community Member

Amelia H wrote:

Advice, please.

My client has requested an ‘escrow refund’ to the amount of $310.

The job was completed successfully and came to a total of $140, which they paid.

I think what has happened is that they accidentally deposited too many funds into escrow to begin with?

This is what Upwork says about the job:

Budget

$140.00

In Escrow

$310.00

Milestones Paid

$140.00

Remaining

$0.00

Total Earnings

$140.00

If I refund the full amount, will this mean that I won’t get paid? Also, will this negatively impact my job score?

Upwork says I have seven days to respond. If I don’t, my client will automatically be refunded. The other option is to contest the amount. 

This has never happened before, and I am a little confused, so any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

If $140 was released and there is $310 in escrow then they are asking for the amount in escrow. If you were paid and have no reason to take those funds, then you refund the escrow.

I believe on the refund page it tells you how much you are refunding. I suppose "refund" is a lttle weird of a word when you're just giving back funds in escrow not refunding from your pocket.

bowie125
Community Member

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your reply.

So, that means by 'refunding' them the $310 in escrow I won't actually be refunding my payment of $140, too? That money's safe? Does this mean that my job score won't plummet, as the money won't be coming from my own pocket?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Amelia

lysis10
Community Member

Amelia H wrote:

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your reply.

So, that means by 'refunding' them the $310 in escrow I won't actually be refunding my payment of $140, too? That money's safe? Does this mean that my job score won't plummet, as the money won't be coming from my own pocket?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Amelia

Yes, from what you showed me, $310 is in escrow and you were paid $140. It sounds like they want their escrow back. By chance is this escrow 90 days old? If so, it's not the client asking for it back, it's the system. It's a badly worded email that makes it sound  like the client asked for their money back but the system is sending the escrow back to the client.

bowie125
Community Member

Thanks for your reply, Jennifer. The escrow and job is quite recent - within the last month.

lysis10
Community Member

Amelia H wrote:

oh ok, I guess the client did ask for it back.

O glad to see that your problem is solved but as I saw your message I thought you are trying to say that the client want your money (the whole money that your deserve to be paid)

Thanks for your advice.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members