🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client responds after ages
Page options
Muhammad W Community Member

Client responds after ages

Hi, 
I accepted client offer on 26 feb and started working. We had discussion about the project on the same day. Then, after that day client went completey blank and I didn't had any response from the client till 6 march. The client then asked for some changes, I did that changes and again client is nowhere to be found. It's 11 march and I didn't recieve any respond from the client till now. The client seems to be unprofessional and takes alot of time. Is there anyway to terminate the contract. The amount is in escrow. I don't need any money just need to terminate the contract. Is there anyway?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mikko R Community Member

Muhammad, guys like us always worry about the success of our clients. We want to make a positive IMPACT! Every single time! 👍

Sometimes it is hard to accommodate other people's slow speed of response.

It helps if you think about the client's priorities. Many businesses need to prioritize making revenue above everything else. Other things like building a new product by a company that is making money out of custom-made projects for their customers get a lower priority. Many times only the critical things get done.

I'm in the exactly same situation RIGHT NOW. 😀

Good client, great scope for the project and all that sweet stuff, but I haven't heard from them since the start of last month. Upwork released the money in the escrow on their behalf. Normally, it would feel strange and in your words perhaps even "unprofessional." Patience is a virtue, they say.

My client is a relatively new company and is still struggling with the execution of their core business, so I must think that I'm here to support them as I can even if it means just that I let them do things at their own pace. A calendar month is such a short time when you're working on some life-or-death level of project.

My only worry is that my calendar doesn't have any empty days for that particular client the rest of this year so I might need to close the project... next month. 😬

So, be understanding, let your empathy kick in, and don't worry about it. They know what you did for them and how to reach you when needed.

All that being said, some people are simply disaster guys in terms of their own work and time management. 🤣 Let's forgive them their personality traits. 😀

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Goran V Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad,

I would like to confirm that freelancers can close their contracts at any time. To learn more about how to close your contract follow the steps listed Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran I think this process will affect my job success. Why should I be taking the loss. 

Petra R Community Member

Muhammad W wrote:

I think this process will affect my job success. Why should I be taking the loss. 

Why would it? It would only affect your JSS if the client leaves poor feedback.

Petra R Community Member

Muhammad W wrote:

The client seems to be unprofessional and takes alot of time. Is there anyway to terminate the contract. The amount is in escrow. I don't need any money just need to terminate the contract. Is there anyway?

Why didn't you resubmit through the contract and then wait 14 days for the money to be released automatically? You can of course close the contract, but then you won't get paid and worked for free.

Hi Petra thanks you for reply.
I think closing contract will affect my job success rate and stats. Why should I be taking loss. I did very hard as a freelancer and I don't want to bear any loss
The 14 days completes tomorrow that's why I posted here because tomorrow money will be transferred to me and I don't need that money I just need to get rid to this contract without any loss because it's not my mistak

Christine A Community Member

Muhammad W wrote:

Hi Petra thanks you for reply.
I think closing contract will affect my job success rate and stats. Why should I be taking loss. I did very hard as a freelancer and I don't want to bear any loss
The 14 days completes tomorrow that's why I posted here because tomorrow money will be transferred to me and I don't need that money I just need to get rid to this contract without any loss because it's not my mistak

You're incorrect in thinking that closing the contract will affect your stats; I've closed dozens of contracts myself and it's had no impact; I've also left contracts open - with no activity - for months at a time (some for over a year). There's no rush. Why not wait until you get paid, and then close it?

It also sounds like you're jumping the gun by thinking that your client has disappeared. My clients often take days or weeks to get back to me, just because they're busy. Again, it doesn't hurt my stats.

and resubmitting is not even the problem. I can do it now but it doesn't solve anything. 

Preston H Community Member

I do the work and I submit it when it is done. I don't care if the client responds or not because if the client does nothing at all, I get paid automatically.

Mikko R Community Member

Muhammad, guys like us always worry about the success of our clients. We want to make a positive IMPACT! Every single time! 👍

Sometimes it is hard to accommodate other people's slow speed of response.

It helps if you think about the client's priorities. Many businesses need to prioritize making revenue above everything else. Other things like building a new product by a company that is making money out of custom-made projects for their customers get a lower priority. Many times only the critical things get done.

I'm in the exactly same situation RIGHT NOW. 😀

Good client, great scope for the project and all that sweet stuff, but I haven't heard from them since the start of last month. Upwork released the money in the escrow on their behalf. Normally, it would feel strange and in your words perhaps even "unprofessional." Patience is a virtue, they say.

My client is a relatively new company and is still struggling with the execution of their core business, so I must think that I'm here to support them as I can even if it means just that I let them do things at their own pace. A calendar month is such a short time when you're working on some life-or-death level of project.

My only worry is that my calendar doesn't have any empty days for that particular client the rest of this year so I might need to close the project... next month. 😬

So, be understanding, let your empathy kick in, and don't worry about it. They know what you did for them and how to reach you when needed.

All that being said, some people are simply disaster guys in terms of their own work and time management. 🤣 Let's forgive them their personality traits. 😀
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members