🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client says "Sorry I stopped working for the ...
Page options
markbaldewin
Community Member

Client says "Sorry I stopped working for the company and the contract will be cancelled soon"

He's referring to the Upwork contract.

There's the agreed amount in Escrow and I've worked intensively on the project. Official deadline is in 2 weeks (1 month as a start was agreed upon).

What should I do now?

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

if he is an employee and used a company card, the money has already been taken out and putting in for escrow would probably be invisible to them unless they forward the old employee's emails to someone. I'd put in for the escrow and wait to see what happens. If nothing, sweet close it. If something, time for a dispute!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

There is not a fixed-price job in progress on your profile, so not sure what you're talking about. 

Phyllis G wrote:

There is not a fixed-price job in progress on your profile, so not sure what you're talking about. 

I thought that once a milestone is funded, the job appears as 'in progress'. In any case, I would be trying to find out who my new contact person would be, and make sure that person has access to the UW account. I would resolve to never again have a month-long project set up on a single milestone. And I would immeidately request payment for the portion of the milestone reflecting work completed to date.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I agree with Jennifer.

This is probably the company’s money, not the client’s personal money.

If it is me, I would send ONE SINGLE MESSAGE to the client:

”Frank, thank you for letting me know. What is the contact email for the person I should send work to? I will now submit work for full payment, unless you instruct me to do otherwise.”

As always in situations like this, changeover in personnel at a company has nothing to do with me, and is not my problem. I expect to get paid for my work.

I will submit using the green button. I assume that Upwork will release money to me automatically, if no one is minding the store. And the work belongs to the company that paid for it. Whether or not they decide to use it is up to them.

As a freelancer, I have worked on many contracts with companies who had changeover in personnel and in most cases things went smoothly. I have had contracts change the point persons I communicate with. I don’t think this is a big deal.

Preston H wrote:

I agree with Jennifer.

This is probably the company’s money, not the client’s personal money.

If it is me, I would send ONE SINGLE MESSAGE to the client:

”Frank, thank you for letting me know. What is the contact email for the person I should send work to? I will now submit work for full payment, unless you instruct me to do otherwise.”

Here we go again:

Why would you tell him to put in for full payment when the work isn't finished? Are you trying to force a dispute and bad feedback here?

Phyllis G wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

I thought that once a milestone is funded, the job appears as 'in progress'.

Only once money was paid.

are: “Why would you tell him to put in for full payment when the work isn't finished?”

That is precise what I did NOT tell him to do.

I told him to contact the client to ask for instructions. I also told him to to try to get the contact information for the new point person for the project.

With either person, he could continue to work on the project, or he could arrange for partial payment.

Your characterization of my advice is just silly.

Preston H wrote:

are: “Why would you tell him to put in for full payment when the work isn't finished?”

That is precise what I did NOT tell him to do.

Your characterization of my advice is just silly.

silly.jpg

...and what do you suppose “unless you instruct otherwise” means?

Preston H wrote:

Which part of "I WILL NOW SUBMIT WORK FOR FULL PAYMENT" do you think was anything other than horrible advice?

What if the "ex client" then fades away as he's no longer in any way invested, has left the building with his cardboard box and potted plant and may not even have acces to the company email anymore, and the people at the company wonder why they get a half-finished job and are expected to pay in full?

Preston H wrote:

But doesn't that amount to saying, "I know I only did a fraction of the work, but I will nonetheless submit for full payment unless you stop me"? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members