๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Client suddenly ended the contract 10 days be...
Page options
tinydolphin
Community Member

Client suddenly ended the contract 10 days before the deadline

My client suddenly closed an hourly contract today (June 14), 10 days before the deadline. We've started our contract on June 8, and we agreed on June 23-24 as a deadline. On June 12 (Monday), I've finished one of his designs. I wanted to log hours manually at the end of the week, after I would have all the designs ready to be sent for review (4 designs). 

He ended the contract with no prior notice, he didn't even gave me an explanation. I've looked through his job hiring history, and it seems he received negative feedback from several freelancers who had to deal with the same issue - client suddenly closed the contracts with no explanation. 

What am I supposed to do now? Is there a way to get paid for the hour I've worked on his project? Is this situation going to affect my JSS (I don't have a JSS at the moment, I'm just beginning to take more jobs), or will I receive less invitations if a client closed a contract? 

Also, I've asked about the reason he closed our contract, and he didn't reply. I proposed a new contract so I can log the hour worked, yet no response from him. Can you give me some advice on how to handle this?

Thanks,

Alice

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
erinvega2016
Community Member

My advice to you would be to take this contract as a lesson learned. When working on an hourly contract never, ever log manual hours no matter what. Head over to the academy tab and read Upwork TOS especially hourly protection guidelines. If you use the platform the way it is intended to be used you should see results. As Preston stated clients can end the contract at anytime and without providing you a reason. 

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling you will not be paid for the work you did if you didn't use the tracking app. Now is the time for you to get back your control as a freelancer. Good Luck!! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
6bfcdaf8
Community Member

All hours you have entered so far will be charged, you won't be able to enter any new hours. Client closing the contract won't have any effect on jss, but they are asked for a review when they are closing it, if their review is negative it will have a negative impact on your profile. 

Only if logged with the time tracking app will those hours be charged. 

manual or not, your hours during the week are charged to the client on monday. Even if your client ends contract on friday they will still be charged on monday. Manual hours too. At that point client has to dispute your hours if they don't want to pay. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients may end a contract at any time. There's nothing wrong with that.

erinvega2016
Community Member

My advice to you would be to take this contract as a lesson learned. When working on an hourly contract never, ever log manual hours no matter what. Head over to the academy tab and read Upwork TOS especially hourly protection guidelines. If you use the platform the way it is intended to be used you should see results. As Preston stated clients can end the contract at anytime and without providing you a reason. 

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling you will not be paid for the work you did if you didn't use the tracking app. Now is the time for you to get back your control as a freelancer. Good Luck!! 

Thanks, Erin! 

yofazza
Community Member

Is there a way to get paid for the hour I've worked on his project?

Client will be charged, but they can easily dispute it. If only you had used the tracker, there's a chance that you still receive the payment out from Upwork's pocket. Sorry didn't read correctly. If you haven't log anything (even the manual time) then there's nothing to charge.

will I receive less invitations

I don't think so, but I don't know the details about Upwork's secretive algo for determining who appears in a search.

I proposed a new contract so I can log the hour worked, yet no response from him. Can you give me some advice on how to handle this?

Just let go.

I agree with Radia.

Just let it go.

You made a mistake. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

re: "I wanted to log hours manually at the end of the week"

Now you know that this is incorrect.

We don't log our hours at the end of the week.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members