🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client tricked me
Page options
freezurmom
Community Member

Client tricked me

Hello, 
The client accepted my proposal to solve a bug in his app. I solved the bug and sent him a video proof that it's working. He said it looks good and asked me for a .apk file (build for Android) which I thought he wants to test the game to see if everything is working. After that he stopped replying and closed the job posting. But I didn't send him fixed project files.
After that he posted a new job asking for a promotion video for his game, which means he just needed apk file, he doesn't need fixed project files.

I'm new to this platform so I thought this was a process when fixing a bug.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Nemanja B wrote:

Hello, 
The client accepted my proposal to solve a bug in his app. 

This is the mistake you have made - The client did NOT accept your proposal, as if they had you would have a contract and would have been paid.

There are 2 types of contract. Fixed price or hourly. In hourly you track your screen hours with the upwork app and get paid for all the hours you work on the project (provided you are working as per the contract)

OR

fixed price, you name a price for the client to complete the job. the client ACCEPTS your proposal, pays the money for the job to UPWORK who hold the money until the job is complete. at that point they give the money to you (unless the client opens a dispute as they are unhappy with the work)

If you did not log hours on a contract or do not have a milestone payment setup in a fixed price contract then you do not have anything. DONT WORK FOR FREE, if the client doesnt want to setup a contract for whatever reason, walk away, report them, dont look back.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
f686a0e7
Community Member

Never start working without a contract.

Report his messages as a scam, tell what happened and hope it works.

why mohammads, its just their first name according to their religon

What does it mean? I don't talk about Mohammads and i dont talk about religions. 

I just said him to not start working without a contract.

Lesson learned now. But I didn't think there were people like that on this platform. And it was a job for 10$, I just wanted to earn first review...

There's people like that everywhere.

Its an easy trap to fall into, but in my experiance those $10 jobs that are quick and easy for a quick review are often the hardest clients to please and will end up resulting in nothing helpful for you in the long run.

86c631fc
Community Member

When we buy new technology and don't know how to use it, we read its guidebook to learn about it. So being new, you should read the TOS and terms and conditions of Upwork. By reading them, you will learn how to work on Upwork.
I hope it will help you.
Regards.

I agree, it was my mistake for not reading everything and it was my mistake that I sent him .apk file, I just thought he won't be able to use it without fixed project. That guy literally has a broken project, but working .apk file. I wonder what is he thinking.
But I still think people like that should be blocked from this platform...

Alright, but you cannot report on the client as it was your mistake. If you are not sure about anything, then to make sure, you can post a question in the community, where experienced freelancers will guide you. and also read the articles on Upwork's terms of service and conditions so that you will not make any such mistake in the future.

prestonhunter
Community Member

The client did not trick anybody.

The problem here is that the freelancer didn't use Upwork properly.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Nemanja B wrote:

Hello, 
The client accepted my proposal to solve a bug in his app. 

This is the mistake you have made - The client did NOT accept your proposal, as if they had you would have a contract and would have been paid.

There are 2 types of contract. Fixed price or hourly. In hourly you track your screen hours with the upwork app and get paid for all the hours you work on the project (provided you are working as per the contract)

OR

fixed price, you name a price for the client to complete the job. the client ACCEPTS your proposal, pays the money for the job to UPWORK who hold the money until the job is complete. at that point they give the money to you (unless the client opens a dispute as they are unhappy with the work)

If you did not log hours on a contract or do not have a milestone payment setup in a fixed price contract then you do not have anything. DONT WORK FOR FREE, if the client doesnt want to setup a contract for whatever reason, walk away, report them, dont look back.

Thank you Jonathan for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate it!
I now understand the process.

Wishing you all the best!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members