🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to set up training. Does custome...
Page options
lsmith131313
Community Member

Client wants to set up training. Does customer pay for training time?

Client want to train me on customer service for his company a day before contract starts.  This will take at least an hour and could be more and more often.  I think I should get paid.  Do I get paid for this training?

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Leslie S wrote:

Client want to train me on customer service for his company a day before contract starts.  This will take at least an hour and could be more and more often. 

Simply tell the client that training is billable and you look forward to the training as soon as the contract starts.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You definitely should get paid for training time.

The client has the choice to hire somebody who already knows how to do this (and thus NOT pay for training time), or to hire somebody and pay for their training time.

It is inappropriate for a client to hire somebody and not pay them for their time.

There is a difference between:
- I want to hire somebody who is proficient in using Photoshop. They should already know how to use Photoshop.

[versus]

- I want to hire somebody to use my company's Z-987 system, which requires some training.

As a freelancer, I would give every client the benefit of the doubt and assume that they understand this and assume that they expect to pay for training. So don't be hesitant or embarrassed about clarifying this. If a client doesn't want to pay for required training, then that isn't a person you want to work for.

Keep in mind that successful companies and clients invest in continuous improvement training. That is one of the things that maks them successful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members