🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clint is rude
Page options
commadvisor
Community Member

Clint is rude

hello, I have been working for a client and even delivering the work. He is not even clear what he wants I'm struggling to get what's on his mind with a very happy and positive way. Also i have been delivering the work very day. Somehow he told me to come on zoom meeting I gave a screenshot of my zoom ID back then he was little rude to me I have all the msg and screenshots but this time he said to me " are you a criminal" I was shocked when he said this to me and on top of it he was humiliating me again and again and he discriminated my because I'm from Pakistan ... he said this is America ... and where we use email ids for zoom ... he said this is 2021.... "he sounds like degrading me" he was not even sorry he discriminated, he was becoming racest, and when I started talking to him on zoom he said to me ohh where are you I said I'm in Pakistan right now he said if that's why you are not getting what I'm saying. Up work, we don't want to be humiliation from such clients they should be the band for this site also when I go to check how many stars he got he has only 2 stars I'm sure he must be ding this with other people as well. I need my money for that I have done for him and I don't wanna content working with him any more 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
eileendooley
Community Member

Hi Rahab,   

I am not an Upwork employeee - but another freelancer flicking through the questions and comments. I feel compelled to drop you a line  - a sort of moral support.  I read his messages - and he could be being racist, sexist or both - or he could be just a rude and ignorant person with narcissistic traits. Either way, you are not a punching bag for his bad behaviour. 

It looks like he has never set up a zoom meeting, just got links to join meetings, if he doesn't understand what a meeting ID is.  

My suggestion, if you want to keep this assisnment,  is first ask Upwork not to allow a review that comes from him affect you negatively and second, have a clear  communications with this person that you will not accept  abusive behaviour from him - that is - what you consider to be abusive behaviour  (not what he considers to be abusive behaviour).  Good luck. 

petra_r
Community Member

Rahab M wrote:

Somehow he told me to come on zoom meeting I gave a screenshot of my zoom ID back  

Why would you do that? 

I don't really understand what the issue is with the Zoom call. If the client wants to do it vi email, do it via email.

The client should obviously not be rude to you, but it's really up to you to set boundaries what behaviour you allow and where to set boundaries firmly, professionally and clearly.

Rahab M wrote:

when I go to check how many stars he got he has only 2 stars 

So why did you accept the contract?

Rahab M wrote:

I need my money for that I have done for him and I don't wanna content working with him any more 

Hourly contract or fixed rate?

Eileen D wrote:

Hi Rahab,   

My suggestion, if you want to keep this assisnment,  is first ask Upwork not to allow a review that comes from him affect you negatively

That isn't "a thing".  In other words, you can't "ask Upwork to not allow a review affect you" unless you are top rated (the OP is not) and you use your perk. 

I think it is extremely sad, on a day that BLM has been nominated for a Nobel Peace prize, that allegations of racism are not  being taken seriously - and the onus of how to handle possible racist behaviour is being put on the victim - not the perpetrator. 

Eileen D wrote:

I think it is extremely sad, on a day that BLM has been nominated for a Nobel Peace prize, that allegations of racism are not  being taken seriously - and the onus of how to handle possible racist behaviour is being put on the victim - not the perpetrator. 

That isn't what is happening. She can report the client, obviously. That doesn't affect the feedback though. "Allegations" also have to be proven.

Eileen D wrote:

If the client was racist or abusive (I didn't see the comments) then I agree that they should be removed from the platform. But learning how to deal with difficult clients is important as well. Vetting clients before you even accept a project is a crucial skill (and would have only required noticing the client's 2-star feedback, which was right there on the job post), as is standing up for yourself and setting boundaries, as is knowing how to politely extract yourself from a project while doing as little damage to your JSS as possible. 

Rahab, tell the client you're sorry but you don't think that you're a good "fit" for his project and that you won't be able to continue. If this is a fixed price project (I'm assuming that it is, otherwise you would have been tracking your hours and been paid automatically by now?), then submit your work for payment using the "submit" button. Wait until you've been paid and close the project yourself, then report this client to customer service along with your screen captures. Perhaps if there are enough complaints about him from other freelancers, his feedback won't count against you (IF he gives you any; he might not).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members