🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Completing the work
Page options
markzolotoy
Community Member

Completing the work

Do I have to take an action to indicate that I am done with work?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, ethically, it's your business and you can charge whatever rate you wish. 
However.

If you're talking about doing an hourly-based job and the job in question is harder, I assume that means it will take longer, correct? You already mentioned the research involved. Rather than raise your hourly rate, just be sure you charge the client for ALL the time you put into the project. Including research. Just be upfront about it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
r2streu
Community Member

If you go to the contract page (Go to the My Jobs tab), and click on the contract in question, there is a "Submit Work" button (assuming you're working on a Fixed Price contract). When you click that button you can attach the work or post a link to the work or however you've done it, and write a message indicating the work is complete. This will put the escrow money in and let the client know they can now approve the final work or ask for revisions. 

I usually write something in the message box like, "Let me know if you need any revisions, thanks again!" 

And yes, while you don't technically "have" to do this, you definitely SHOULD, because otherwise it doesn't start the payment protection process. 

No, the work was hourly based.

Was it tracked or are you just filling in the hours? 
On an hourly job, you only need to keep track of the hours you actually work on the project. If it's finished, you stop billing the client. 

You can message them and see if they have more work, or you can close the contract. I'd recommend the former first. 

I have been using the Upwork tracking system. I also let them know that I am done.

In that case, you should be good to go. It is now up to the client and you whether to close out the contract. If the client has more work for you, or will in the near future, there's nothing wrong with leaving it open. If not, there's nothing wrong with closing it out as a job well done. 

Ok, let me ask you more. If a client is sending another offer specifying the same rate is it ethically ok to ask for another rate? The new job is more sophisticated and will require some research. 

Well, ethically, it's your business and you can charge whatever rate you wish. 
However.

If you're talking about doing an hourly-based job and the job in question is harder, I assume that means it will take longer, correct? You already mentioned the research involved. Rather than raise your hourly rate, just be sure you charge the client for ALL the time you put into the project. Including research. Just be upfront about it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members