🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Connect Differences
Page options
nick_scumaci
Community Member

Connect Differences

I just noticed these two jobs posted on Upwork 5 days apart. There does not seem to be any difference between the jobs, yet, the first posting posted 5 days ago required 2 connects and the one posted 7 minutes ago requires 4. Again, this is the same exact job in every way so why the increase in connects? Did something change (after the initial connects revamp), is there something I'm missing? Because at the moment it doesn't make sense. Just looking for an explanation. Thanks.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nicholas,

Petra is correct, we calculate the number of Connects needed based on the projected job duration, budget amount and marketplace demand. Once a job is posted, however, we may lower the number of Connects needed to encourage more freelancers to submit proposals. 

Thank you for flagging this for us, we'll have the identical job posts reviewed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
williambernal
Community Member

NS,

Identical jobs being posted simultaneously is actually a violation of UW's ToS-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services:
Spamming other Users with proposals or invitations or posting the same job multiple times so that more than one version remains active at a given time;".

Please flag this job and move on.

Thanks for keeping your head up.
Work smart, work safe!

Best,
wb

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Nicholas,

The algorithm that assigned the connects required on the first posting must have gone on vacation, leaving another algorithm in charge with different ideas about how connect requirements should be assigned.

But, really, there's no reason to question the usefulness and consistency of algorithms. On Upwork, they are widely used (of necessity) and very rarely wrong.

petra_r
Community Member

Nicholas S wrote:

Did something change (after the initial connects revamp), is there something I'm missing? Because at the moment it doesn't make sense. Just looking for an explanation. Thanks.

Upwork increases the number of connects required for jobs with lots of proposals and lowers it for jobs with not enough. What you see is not necessarily final, the number of connects can go up and down during the lifespan of a job post.

Chances are the earlier one started at 4 connects too, but after a few days with only a handful of proposals, the "price to apply" was lowered.

Thank you for the explanation Petra!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nicholas,

Petra is correct, we calculate the number of Connects needed based on the projected job duration, budget amount and marketplace demand. Once a job is posted, however, we may lower the number of Connects needed to encourage more freelancers to submit proposals. 

Thank you for flagging this for us, we'll have the identical job posts reviewed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you as well, Bojan!

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you!

A little doubt
If I send a proposal that requires, for example, 6 connections and, for not having enough proposals, it ends in 2 connections, will you give me the difference?

I couldn't stand it, I had to ask Smiley LOL

Maria T wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you!

A little doubt
If I send a proposal that requires, for example, 6 connections and, for not having enough proposals, it ends in 2 connections, will you give me the difference?

I couldn't stand it, I had to ask Smiley LOL

Of course it's a given that the answer is no. Besides it being a given, it has been repeatedly confirmed by the mods.

Sounds unfair?

Well so should the fact that you won't get a connects refund when you submit, withdraw, and then client proactively closes the job later on.

Now here's my own question: Does the same token apply when you submit, get declined by client, then client proactively closes the job two weeks after without hiring no one?

Hi Maria and Abinadab,

We do not refund Connects for the difference in these specific cases. Connects are also not refunded if the client declined the proposal, even if the client closes the job eventually.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Petra and Bojan are correct. But I think duration doesn't matter. What I have observed is just the budget amount that makes the connects difference. I have searched two different jobs posted at the same time with the same category but different budget amount of $25(2 connects) and $2000(6 connects). So I think Upwork considers only the budget amount for the connects need to submit a proposal/bid.

Shakeel A wrote:

Petra and Bojan are correct. But I think duration doesn't matter. What I have observed is just the budget amount that makes the connects difference. 

There is no budget for hourly job posts

Well, hourly jobs are based on time so connects for such job posts depend on duration but I don't think so for fixed budget jobs. Because I don't see a deadline in the fixed-job posts.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths