🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects
Page options
a77045c6
Community Member

Connects

Hi everyone, 

I'm curious if anyone could let me know why some tasks required only 1 connect, but many tasks required 6 connects.

Thank you,

Apinia

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

As a freelancer or agency, you'll use Connects to Submit Proposals and let clients know you're interested in their project. You receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle and bonuses for some interviews you win. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our guide here.

To purchase Connects, go to Settings > Membership & Connects and click on the green 'Add More Connects' button. From there, select the amount to buy and click on the 'Buy Connects' button. Please note, that if you have sufficient funds on your Upwork balance, the charge will be applied to your Upwork balance. You can check out this help article to learn about the available Billing Methods.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

878 REPLIES 878

Hi Trinity,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have the Availability badge active on your Upwork profile which requires Connects on daily basis. Also, you have used Connects to apply to jobs. Check out the Connect History page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

So you need to buy more connects 

sajal36
Community Member

@Upwork - I have a question related to your process of connect refund. Is this a automated process or it is done / approved by someone manually. 

I find it hard to track whether any job which I applied is closed without hiring.. So if it upwork process is automated than I can leave to system to process. However if it is manual than I will have to audit jobs which I applied and got closed without hiring. I randomly reviewed one of the older job closed without hiring but connects were not re-imbursed. However recently job closed without hiring the connects were re-imbursed.

@Upwork --> Your clarification will be highly appreciated.

2b96c3e4
Community Member

When a job is cancelled, you'll be refunded automatically.

I've recently read, the best thing to do, is to withdraw your application after a day or 2 appliyng without any response.

Nasr N wrote:

I've recently read, the best thing to do, is to withdraw your application after a day or 2 appliyng without any response.

If you withdraw your proposal, the Connects are not refunded. So it is a bad advice.

8467c28e
Community Member

Sajal,

Upwork's connect refund process is automated. When a job is closed without hiring, the system automatically refunds the connects that were used to apply for that job within 24 hours. So you don't need to worry about manually tracking jobs that you applied for and didn't get hired for.

However, sometimes there can be delays or glitches in the system that may cause some refunds to not be processed immediately. If you come across a situation where your connects were not refunded for a closed job, you can reach out to Upwork's customer support team and they will be able to assist you.

sajal36
Community Member

Utku,

Can you guide me to the write up on upwork where it is mentioned that connect refund is automated.

8467c28e
Community Member

Sajal,

You can find information about the automated connect refund process in Upwork's Help Center. Specifically, under the article titled "Connects: Pricing, Purchasing, and Refunds." Here's the link to the article:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063208-Connects-Pricing-Purchasing-and-Refunds

This article explains how the connect system works, including the process of refunds for jobs that close without hiring. If you still have questions or concerns, you can always reach out to Upwork's customer support team for further assistance.

The job has to be closed by the client before hiring for Connects to be refunded. It does not apply to expired jobs without hiring.

Hi Sajal,

I would like to clarify that the Connects will be returned in the following scenarios: 

• If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. This does not apply to expired job posts.
  • If we remove a project’s post because we believe it violates our Terms of Service, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned.

This is an automated process and does not require any additional approval. You can refer to his help page for more information. Feel free to message us if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
sajal36
Community Member

I got this old message from community discussion Connects refund! . Connects are only refunded if client closes the job without hire. However if the job expires and clients do not hire anyone then connects are not refunded. Reasoning for expired job connect with no hire not refunded is that client will be still able to hire on the expired job, if they want to.

hippietrinity
Community Member

I've been a freelancer on UpWork for over 5 years now. I've acquired over 100 connects, I think the last time I checked it was at 120. Now it says I have 6 connects, this is impossible. I haven't used them but they aren't showing up on my account. Why did this happen & where did they go? S.O.S. 

Sincerely,

A talented writer who used to love UpWork

Trinity

Check your Connects History under Reports. I believe these might expire... 

9c0fdece
Community Member

Dear Upwork,
Since I did not receive any reply from clients after submitting proposals, in case I withdraw the proposal, could I receive back connects of these proposals?

Thanks. Best.

No. Unless the job post is taken down by Upwork for violating their ToS or the client closes the job post without hiring any freelancers, you won't get your connects back.

33b879a3
Community Member

Capture.PNG

Don't bid.  Problem solved. 

Yes, I didn't. 

First day on Upwork?

Yes, First day on Upwork after the update!

mconley14
Community Member

If Upwork no longer gives out connects for interviews won, what is the best way to get connects without spending money? 

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael, you receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle and bonuses for some interviews you win. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our guide here.

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you for the response. If today is April 3, should I have received 10 free connects at the start of the month or is the billing cycle not at the start of the month?

Thank you

Hi Michael,

I took a closer look at your Billing Cycle and can confirm that it starts on the 10th of every month. As Andrea mentioned, your Monthly Connects Renewal should be applied to your account 24-48 hours after the start of your billing cycle. You may check your Connects History page to validate the Monthly Connects Renewal applied to your account for the previous months.

~ Arjay
Upwork
crart
Community Member

Anyone willing to logically explain why there is still only 10 free connects while the cost of applying for jobs is higher now? I know it is a difficult question and topic you would all rather bury under the carpet but I am genuinely interested in finding out the underlying mechanism of changes that Upwork is introducing. Except for "we must get more money from freelancers" I am sure there is something more mature.

38acc5df
Community Member

Good Day!

I haven't received my monthly free connect yet. My current billing cycle is Mar 01, 2022 — Mar 31, 2023. I would be grateful if you could review it. Thank you. 

Best,

I suggest contacting Upwork's customer support team regarding your issue. They have trained agents who can assist you with your concern and provide you with the necessary assistance to resolve your issue. You can reach Upwork customer support through their website or by emailing them directly. Additionally, you can try looking for information in the Upwork Help Center, which contains helpful articles and resources on common issues faced by freelancers on the platform.

I haven't received my monthly free connect yet. My current billing cycle is Mar 01, 2022 — Mar 31, 2023. I would be grateful if you could also review it. Thank you. 

We get free ones?!

Hi Abdullah,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked and it looks like your 10 free monthly Connects are given every 2nd of the month. Please note that it can be credited anytime within 24 hours. If you still don't receive it the next day, please let us know.

~ AJ
Upwork
90dc99bd
Community Member

I do not received FREE connects this month (Apr 2023)

Hi Vaibhav,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Free Connects are not given at the start of each month. I checked and your billing cycle refreshes every 21st of the month, and that's when you will receive your 10 free monthly Connects.

~ AJ
Upwork
7db1b417
Community Member

Didn't get monthly 10 free connects as per the basic plan. I usually get it in the 1st three days of the month. 

Hi Farrukh,

Thank you for reaching out. I just checked and it looks like you're receiving your free monthly Connects every 20th of the month. You can check your Connects history here.

~ AJ
Upwork
ef59aed2
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Salin,

I checked and it does look like you received your Monthly Connects on March 25th. You can check your Connects History to confirm. 

~Andrea
Upwork
92ca87b9
Community Member

Dear all,

Kindly share me how to get free connect 

With Regards

Mahesh Kumar

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for reaching out. You get 10 free Connects every month from your Freelancer Basic membership. In addition, you'll receive free Connects (the number can vary) when you win an interview with an established client, as well as 30 Connects when you earn a Rising Talent badge. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
52c05ae7
Community Member

How and where can I get the “promo code” to buy more connects? The page can’t continue without the code...someone should help please.

None exists. It is stupid joke, just ignore it. Form works without code, it is not required to proceed, leave field empty.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members