🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract On Hold
Page options
Hemant P Community Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Ronnie,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~Andrea

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509
Christine D Community Member

Hello Upwork,

Reposting this because I believe I was in a different forum.

I was currently invited by a client and here is the contract number: 31557053

I get that they already received an email from you and they already responded with your concerns. They sent us screenshots as proof that they have responded to you. But I wanted to check in if there's any feedback and would the deadline be changed once the work resumes. Is there a possibility to get my earnings if ever the work was ended abruptly? Can you check that the client did not intentionally paused my contract?

I have messaged the client and is still not responding; and so is Upwork. 

Do not give me the automated response and give me the possibilities as to why the client was suspended or the contract was paused. I need answers.

Please send me an update. 

Looking forward to your prompt response.

Thank you!

Sophie A Community Member

Upwork won't reply to you about a concern between them and the client. I suggesdt that

you wait for the contract to resume and see about the deadline with your client at that moment.

Umama I Community Member

I got email from Upwork on the Friday morning that my contract with the client is on hold ( it's an hourly based) . And on Upwork it's showing suspended. What should I do now?? 

Miles H Community Member

Immediately cease doing any work for the client, and reach out to the client and ask for clarification of what is going on.

Will L Community Member

...and don't do any more work on this project until Upwork, not just the client, tells you the problem has been resolved.

Umama I Community Member

I got email from Upwork that my contract is reactivated and I can continue my hourly work. Upwork saying I can resume working. 

Prabal Y Community Member

Hello Sir/Ma'am,

My contract has been suspended yesterday and it is paused bu upwork. My tracker is not working and I am unable to work as my time not getting logged.

Can you please look into the issue ASAP, as I am not able to work since yesterday because of this issue.

f44da0e0_4-1664428538719.png

f44da0e0_5-1664428614241.png

Please resolve and revert ASAP.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Prabal,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your contract. I checked and it looks like your Upwork contract has been paused due to an issue with the client's account. That said, it is by design that Freelancers will be unable to log time on their Hourly contracts until the issue is resolved on the client's account and the contract is automatically restored. Any work completed or submitted on a paused contract or before accepting a contract from the client will not be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Prabal Y Community Member

Hello Pradeep,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked with the client and they are saying that this issue has been resolved two days back and now the next action is pending from Upwork side (from last two days).

Could you please connect with my client?

And could you please check and confirm ASAP?

Awaiting your reply. Thanks

Regards,

Prabal

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Prabal,

Thank you for your message. The relevant team is already communicating with the client and requested more information. Your contract will be automatically restored as soon as the client complies with our requirements. Unfortunately, I am unable to discuss other user's accounts further with you for security purposes. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Will L Community Member

If you want to get paid for all your work on this project, don't do any further work until Upwork, not just the client, confirms the client's account is again in good standing.

A fraudulent client is always going to say you should work and "it's all Upwork's fault" even when it's really up to the client to fix things with Upwork.

Hermes Peter H Community Member

Hello,

My contract on my client was been paused by Upwork it's been 2 weeks we still have communication with my client and he said he already resolved the problem but contract still on paused

Hassan S Community Member

He must have issues with his card it will remain same just move on

Hermes Peter H Community Member

Yes but his card already updated still on paused

Redeem A Community Member

Hi Upwork! Yesterday I saw a message that my contract has been paused by Upwork after I had already submitted the work.

I have been trying to reach the Client to no avail. My money is in Escrow, I'll need the client to release the milestone but I don't get what's currently going on .

Please I need the best solution because I can't afford to lose out on my payment. I thoroughly worked for it and I deserve to be paid for it irregardless.

Thank you

Mykola A Community Member

Client have payment issue. Don't do more works wntil resolved.

Submit milestone for payment, wait 14 days. It will be released. Or not if client scammer. You can not do anything here.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Redeem,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Mykola is correct, if there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. You may also contact the client to ask them to resolve the issue with the account so they can release the payment.

~ AJ
Upwork
Steven T Community Member

I have a client in Australia, they have been reliable so far and the contract is progressing well. However, they've been caught up in the optus hack which has delayed them being able to pay Upwork this month. Upwork has paused the contract and then sent them a 'refund' of several hundred dollars from my account, I assume its looked through my time sheet and taken out any time with too low activity.

I understand why Upwork is protecting itself this way. But what happens when the clients is able to pay again? Does Upwork give me that money back? Do I claim it as manual time?

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your message. I can see that the team has reached out to you via email with more details and instructions on how to resolve the issue. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through this page or email if you need further assistance so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Steven T Community Member

Thanks for the help Arjay, the problem is resolved now.

Usama T Community Member

Stop woorking Untill it gets resume . if it is done intentonally you can contact upwork support they will help you definatley .

Jess Michael B Community Member

Hi Upwork Community,

Last September my client just pause the contract it's hourly work but I already started the work. He sent me an offer and I accept it. Can I still get the payment on it in the future or not???

Cheers,

Jess M.

Rakesh c Community Member

Hi Jess,

so if i am uderstanding upwork policy then as per upwork policy please don't start working until your contact resume because upwork is not considered your billing in this case.so if you already worked after client pause contract or upwork pause contract you'll not get money .so stop working.

Thanks,
Rakesh

HAFIZ MUHAMMAD M Community Member

Hi Jess,

This has happened to me queit a few times. I have learned that it's good to let the client know before hand that they may face service delays if they pause the contract without prior consultation. Another way to tackle this is a retaining fee set to 2-3 hours to keep engagement active from both sides. These are my suggestions but if anyone has a better solution, it will be much appreciated.

Regards

Hafiz

Usama T Community Member

Stop woorking Untill it gets resume . if it is done intentonally you can contact upwork support they will help you definatley 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members