🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract Suspended
Page options
wwwoman
Community Member

Contract Suspended

I started an hourly contract and I have worked for over 12 hours. Now I have been informed that the contract is suspended as Upwork is carrying out an investigation. So what will happen to the 12 hours worked?  Will I be paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi there,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

452 REPLIES 452

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to learn about the status of your contract with a client. Please be aware that if there is an issue with your client's Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused, and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client's account due to privacy concerns.

We advise that you:

• Stop working on the contract immediately — Upwork's Payment Protection programs do not cover any work completed during a contract pause. Don't worry about hourly contracts; hours you billed before the contract was paused are still eligible for payment protection.
  • Contact your client — You can still message your client on Upwork when contracts are paused. We recommend that you contact your client as soon as possible to find out when they expect the contract to resume. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
tanzibul
Community Member

Hi There,

I have an hourly contract with a minimum of $300/week as a retainer. The retainer amount was agreed by both parties, not a mistake. However, after over one month of work, we needed to take a pause and I insisted the client pause the contract.

Normally I see the weekly retainer for the last completed week to be funded in my balance every Saturday. Our contract was paused last Saturday which means the previous completed week of Monday to Friday retainer payment was supposed to be available this Saturday today. To specify the week of 18th to 22nd March is the payment I'm talking about that has not been received.

I always used to see the transaction history with the date on my "Pending Transactions" page, but this previous week's payment was not shown! Since the contract paused on Saturday the 23rd, I believe I should receive the retainer for the week of 18th to the 22nd.

Why I'm saying that? When the contract started, it was Friday, and I received that 1 day's worth of retainer of $60 for that week even.

Any kind of info and help is highly appreciated!

Asad

Hi Md. A.

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page with more information and further assistance about your payment concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dee-writer
Community Member

Hi Upwork community. I am facing a problem. I want to contact Upwork regarding a client pausing the contract after receiving the work and being unresponsive for a few days. What should I do. 

Nothing. Continue works after unpaused. Client able to pause contract anytime he want.

Time tracked before pause will be paid.

Okay so this means the hours logged will be paid for even if the contract is paused?

Yep. You cannot add new time only after paused.

Hi Deeba,

In theory yes, if you used the Work Diary time-tracking app properly with screenshots, sufficient keyboard activity, and meaningful memos.

If a client's billing method fails, you should get paid if you meet Upwork's above criteria to qualify for payment protection.

If you added your hours manually, an ill-intentioned client can dispute your hours and will automatically be refunded.

It's clearly stated that Hourly payment protection does not apply to manual hours.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I got worried thinking that I won't earn anything after working so much. 

urenab22
Community Member

Hi,

I need information about a contract that is due on May 26. Yesterday, I received a notification on May 24, that "Your contract Italian History Essay Writer has been ended." This was a contract I was hired for by**Edited for Community Guidelines** I contacted the client, but he is not sure about it and still wants me to work on the project. I am clueless in this situation and unsure if I should listen to the client or not.

Additionally, I am seeking clarification on why this contract was ended by Upwork. If there was any violation, could you please specify what it was? I am always very careful with the projects I work on, and the sudden ending of this contract without notice was upsetting and confusing for me.

Looking forward to your response.

Hi Urenab,

I'm sorry to learn about this experience. I see that the team has emailed you with more information about the job you're referring to and why it's been removed from Upwork. 

As also mentioned in the email, please be aware that the work a client requests must comply with the rules and policies of the academic institution where it will be submitted. On Upwork, you can help with proofreading, editing, data gathering, or research for projects if the school/institution in question allows that type of assistance.

Thank you for contacting us here in the Community and sharing this. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
alhyari
Community Member

My Upwork client account has been put on hold after an unsuccessful payment attempt. I have updated my billing information and would like to know how to resolve this issue and get my account reactivated as soon as possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Muhammad,

I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members