🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract Suspended
Page options
wwwoman
Community Member

Contract Suspended

I started an hourly contract and I have worked for over 12 hours. Now I have been informed that the contract is suspended as Upwork is carrying out an investigation. So what will happen to the 12 hours worked?  Will I be paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi there,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

450 REPLIES 450

Should be payment issue. Upwork will never share real reason with you.

So in this case can I end the contract?

Your choice. You can wait and take care about other jobs a while. You dont must close it, you just cannot work until unpaused.

thank you for your help

ec0d25ee
Community Member

I recently worked on a time-tracked project for a client on Upwork. However, I noticed that the contract has been suspended. I am concerned about the payment for the work I completed during the project. I already reached out to the client, and they assured me that there won't be any problems and that I will still be paid. However, I want to seek advice from the Upwork community to understand if there could be any potential issues with receiving payment in such a situation. Has anyone experienced a similar scenario before? Is there anything specific I should do or be aware of to ensure I get paid for the work I delivered? Any insights or guidance would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

lysis10
Community Member

Sounds like a scammer from his reply. If you participated in fraud, you're not getting paid. If you're smart enough not to get involved and this was just a payment oopsie on the client's side, you'll be paid as long as you followed payment protection rules.

Hi Laiba,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Generally, if a contract is on hold, there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you would not be able to continue billing that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved.

There are many possible reasons why this occurred although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

As long as the hours you logged qualify for Upwork Hourly Payment Protection, Upwork will step in and cover the payment for the client. 

We recommend you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. You can check this help article to learn more. As for the payment, as long as you 

~ AJ
Upwork
webmediainfotech
Community Member

What are the reasons behind contract suspension?

Hi Rajat,

A contract is typically suspended because of an issue with the client's account or billing method. We can't share the specifics for privacy reasons, but you can look at this article for more information and how you should handle those situations.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
78b51464
Community Member

To,
The Technical Team of Upwork,
5/8/2023

Is it a Fake Contract? Paused by Upwork

"Easy typing in Microsoft Word"

-Suspended by Upwork.

Please check my screenshot and suggest to me what should I do.
How to understand fake client Contract Suspended Work Contracts Finding Work 

Hi Ariful,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
78b51464
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm very proud to be here.

annahk
Community Member

Hi Upwork Support,

I recieved a message on my contract being on hold about a week ago. My client told me he had a card issue, but he has solved it 4 days ago. Anyway, my contract is still on hold and I haven't gotten any information from Upwork.

Could you help me, please, to find a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Hi Anna,

Can you please share the Contract ID for the job you're referring to? You can find it by going to your active contracts on My Jobs and clicking on the "Details" tab.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
annahk
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the Contract ID - 33761342

Hi Anna,

While I won't be able to share anything about the client's account, in general, when a contract is put on hold due to their billing method failing, they have to update their billing method in order to resume their account. If the issue persists on their end, please have them contact support so we can efficiently assist them.

~ AJ
Upwork
f2980205
Community Member

Hello, I could find get support widget. So, I asked Anna to share link to speak with you.
I have updated my billing data and also maid payment already. Is it all?
Why do I see red notification above?
My email is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Daniyar,

I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your Upwork account. I checked your account and I can confirm that the pending payment is already cleared. To restore your account, please remove the card details with declined status.

- Pradeep

Upwork

I did, nothing happened. Can you please resolve the issue?

annahk
Community Member

Now everything is ok on client's account, but I still have the same issue (see the attachment). Please, tell me whether we have to wait long, should we change our platform or you are going to solve this issue?

Hi Anna,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
9b083ef8
Community Member

hello, sir i am new at here a client comes and ask me to give me a youtube channel, i arrange a channel and give him, but now he cancel the contract please how upwork pay me

Muhammad,

If you have a fixed-fee contract, just submit the work for payment.

Hi Muhammad, 

We understand how alarming and disappointing this experience is for you. I checked and can confirm that the contract in question is on hold. If a contract is on hold, there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. However, there are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

We recommend you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
hamzasaeed424
Community Member

Cannot accept job offer - Need technical support

I got an offer today, and when I try to "accept offer", it gives an error:
"It seems like we ran into an unexpected problem with this offer. Please ask the client to withdraw it and create a new one, or contact technical support.

Job post still alive? Should be deleted for ToS violation already.

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to learn that you're having trouble accepting an offer from a client. However, I checked the job you are referring to and noticed that the contract is suspended as we are currently investigating an issue with your client's account. Don't worry! Your profile is not affected by the action taken on your contract. Your contract will be restored as soon as the client resolves the issue with their account. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
champusama
Community Member

Hi,

I am Usama, a top-rated data scientist with a 5/5 rating. I recently completed a project for a client, and they provided excellent feedback and a 5/5 rating. However, after three weeks, the client requested a refund through Upwork. I opened a case with Upwork, and their Customer Experience Team reviewed the situation twice. The client was unable to answer any questions from my side or the Customer Experience Team.

After two weeks of investigation, checking feedback, and considering the 5/5 rating, the Customer Experience Team decided to close the case. Unfortunately, the client went to their bank and requested a refund, despite all the evidence. The client's bank did not rule in favor of Upwork.

As a result, my account currently has restricted withdrawals. I have made a request, and Upwork informed me that if funds are available in my account, they will deduct the amount due. If not, they asked me to inform them when I have enough funds in my Upwork account to cover the past-due amount.

This situation is not only disappointing but also makes me feel insecure, as my efforts, money, and time are at risk of being wasted. I kindly request the Upwork CEO and managing team to look into this matter and ensure the rights of freelancers. I am looking forward to a positive response and a swift solution.

Warm regards,

Usama

pujanov69
Community Member

I am facing similar issue on one of my contract since Friday and I'm not being able to track time. As per the client the issue is already resolved from their side.

Hi Pujan,

Thank you for your message. I checked the job you are referring to and noticed that the issue is not resolved yet. Your client will have to resolve the pending issue to restore your contract. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

May I know the issue they need to resolve ?  Because they mentioned that they have done the needed and it might take some time to be updated on the system.

Hi Pujan,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry but I will be unable to discuss other user's accounts with you for confidentiality purposes. If your client is unsure of the issue with their account, please request them to get in touch with us directly. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
c5565363
Community Member

Hello
upwork has put my existing project in the status of "Suspended". It’s been a week ago. If I understand correctly, this is due to the fact that the customer does not have enough money in the account. How long can the project be in this status? Has upwork technical support been contacted with the customer? Maybe he has problems with a card or some other technical problem that’s keeping him from depositing money? I am confident in the reliability of this customer and would like to continue working with him as soon as possible.
I would be grateful for the advice of experienced colleagues or upwork administration in this matter!

Hi Anton,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
5fd63993
Community Member

Hello, why is my contract still suspend? suspended because client payment issue. It's been almost 1 month and there haven't been any changes to my suspend contract?when my contract can active again? and my contract ID is 34653334. My client said that he has contacted Upwork admin support, but there has been no reply. Please confirm whether my client is a fraud or Upwork has not resolved my client's payment issue 

Hi Wahyu,

I understand that it can be a frustrating experience but I'm afraid we can't specify when a contract's hold will be lifted. 

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket. Please be sure not to resume working with the client until the hold is lifted.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
ef8a270a
Community Member

When I trying to accept an offer from the client... I got an error message like this. This client's account is on a temporary hold. Once the issue is resolved, you can accept their offer. so should I proceed with the job or not?

Do Not Proceed with the Job: It's advisable not to start working on the project until the client's account issue is resolved. Working on a project with a client whose account is on hold could lead to payment issues and complications down the line.

Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork's customer support immediately to report the issue and inquire about the reason for the client's account hold. They can provide you with more information about the situation and guidance on how to proceed.

Wait for Resolution: Once you've contacted Upwork support, they will investigate the situation and work on resolving any issues with the client's account. They will also notify you when it's safe to proceed with the job.

Communicate with the Client: If you've already been in communication with the client, you may want to politely inform them of the situation and that you're waiting for Upwork's guidance. Transparency and clear communication are important in such cases.

Remember that Upwork takes account holds and security seriously to protect both clients and freelancers. It's in your best interest to follow their guidance and not proceed with the job until the issue is resolved to avoid potential payment and contractual issues.

zeeshan5599
Community Member

Hi Experts.

Seeking your kind attention and time.

Last week, I secured a contract on Upwork and diligently logged 40 hours of work using the Upwork tracker. I successfully delivered all required tasks by Saturday.

To my surprise, the following week, I received an email from Upwork notifying me that the contract had been put on hold due to a payment issue on the client's side. It's important to note that the client's payment method had been verified by Upwork.

Fast forward 14 days, when the payment was due to be released, I received another email from Upwork, indicating that due to the client's failure to remit payment to Upwork, all the billed funds had been refunded to the client.

I respectfully pose the question: Is this a just outcome for the freelancer? What mistake did the freelancer make if the client chose not to pay Upwork and vanished?

I understand that Upwork typically invoices the client after one week of work, but can Upwork effectively protect freelancers from such situations under the current payment model? I believe the answer is no.

For the sake of safety, trustworthiness, and the well-being of not just Upwork but also its freelancers, I'd like to propose a solution:

For hourly payments: The freelancer would work on the contract, and at the end of the workday, by the EST timezone perhaps, the client would be billed, or a predetermined amount would be automatically deducted by Upwork.

This approach would minimize the risk of scams for both clients and freelancers. If a client attempts to remove their payment method, Upwork could promptly notify the freelancer to pause work until the outstanding payment is resolved.

I believe that this model would add significant value to Upwork, creating a more secure and trust-based environment. Freelancers would likely appreciate being part of such a freelancer-friendly platform.

Kind Regards 

Hi Zeeshan,

I hope you are doing great. Have you talked to Upwork support team or create any diary? If you did what was their response?

Thanks

Waqas Khan

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members