🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract has expired but it's still active on...
Page options
atikahw
Community Member

Contract has expired but it's still active on my page. Can I just continue billing time?

I am working with a client that is a big company. While I have good rapport with team members of the company's department, renewing contracts has always taken a long time with their HR. Recently, my contract ended (Nov 30) but it still appears under my "Active Contracts" although the contract clearly states the date of the contract was up to Nov 30 only. The team members asked me whether I could simply just bill time into this contract until HR writes up a new contract. My concern is that whether a) it is common for expired contracts to still be active b) will Upwork recognise my billed hours and charge my client accordingly c) I wouldn't land on hot water with either the client's HR team or Upwork. 

Of course, the right way to do this is simply to wait for their HR team but seeing it would take awhile especially seeing it is at the end of the year, I'm wondering if this is a possible solution. Please let me know, thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi NorAtikah,

Thank you for reaching out. Although the contract is expired, the Upwork system will still allow you to track time while working and the weekly billing cycle will continue as normal.

However, we still highly recommend that you discuss this with your client to avoid any disputes between you and the client.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
759e32fa

Hi NorAtikah,

Thank you for reaching out. Although the contract is expired, the Upwork system will still allow you to track time while working and the weekly billing cycle will continue as normal.

However, we still highly recommend that you discuss this with your client to avoid any disputes between you and the client.

~ AJ
Upwork
atikahw
Community Member

Thanks for clearing this up!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members