🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Copyright violation jobs
Page options
calvo_juan
Community Member

Copyright violation jobs

Downloading images from other sites and requesting Upwork freelancers to make edits/changing parts of the exact same images, promising many more similar work in the future. That is the business model of someone that intends to use Upwork to violate copyright laws, which I'm sure have some international validity. I would love a flagging option that made the process of getting rid of these jobs easier. Also it would be great to "educate" potential clients not to do this ever. Yes, why do I care, let it be, the sanctity of the free market, etc...Can you imagine if someone started a business here based on violating the copyrights of a company like Disney? If we allow small copyright scams these people will get bolder, that will be trouble for Upwork and therefore for us freelancers. So I think it's only logic to get rid of those job posts. I understand one can pay money to feature jobs of this nature, but in my opinion is very bad business for the future.

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Juan C wrote:

I would love a flagging option that made the process of getting rid of these jobs easier.

How much easier than clicking on the "flag as inappropriate" button and taking it from there would you like it to be?

I don't know, maybe something related to copyright, so the team at support spend less time analizing it and proper action is actually taken when the job is flagged. Flagging does not work most of the time. I sent a request and they deleted the job post, so that works and I'm thankful for it.

Nevermind that. I see that he already hired someone and is posting the exact same job again today. So this person is setting up a business based on copyright violation, here on Upwork as I predicted. I wish it was easier to get rid of these types of jobs. Easier than [insert things that don't work here]. For example, if I flag something under the category of copyright violation, the Upwork team has to spend less time figuring out what to do. Maybe very little time but I'm sure it adds up if you consider all jobs that are flagged on a daily basis. Also I find concerning that some clients give for granted that Upwork is an excellent platform not only to get cheap freelancers, but to set up businesses that violate copyrights. I think it's a lot easier to start creating measurements to change that perception on clients and to facilitate the flagging of those types of jobs now, rather than to allow the problem to spread. 

How difficult can it possibly be to type the issue into the text box?

There are literally hundreds of different reasons why a job post might be inappropriate.

There is no way to have a report form with all of them.

I can't for the life of me see what the issue is. There is a text field. Use it.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juan,

Thank you for your feedback, I'll be sure to share it with our team. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report, including a job post link. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks, Bojan, I sent you a PM.

I have typed in the flagging box of the duplicate job post why the job is not appropiate, but no action was taken. 

re: "I have typed in the flagging box of the duplicate job post why the job is not appropiate, but no action was taken."

You don't need to worry about that.

Having flagged the job, you have no further obligation relating to the job post.

Juan:

Upwork is not the "copyright police."

But Upwork DOES have an established way to report inappropriate job posts.

The current system has proven to be quite effective.

I think you should keep in mind that Upwork is a "general purpose" freelance work platform. As such, its user interface is not geared toward only one specific niche.

Most jobs on Upwork have nothing to do with copyright. As far as I am aware, nobody has reported any sort of entrenched problem on the platform regarding job postings with copyright issues. It looks to me like you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Read:

https://www.upwork.com/legal#complaintsabout

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 4.00.43 PM.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members