🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Could I lose potential contract if I negotiat...
Page options
shawnvw
Community Member

Could I lose potential contract if I negotiate deadline?

A potential client has narrowed the contract to me and another freelancer. Client says I'm the "frontrunner".

I really appreciate that, but I'm afraid I may not be able to meet his deadline. This contract wouldn't be my only job; I have a part-time job that is trying to get me to work as many shifts as possible. I've also interviewed for a much better day job; if I get it, it could start in a few weeks, and I'd have to finish the contract in my off-time.

I know that as a freelancer I should be honest and up front about this. But I *may* not get that day job. And my part-time job *may* not give me too many shifts. But if I bring this up before the client has made his decision -- well, I *may* not get the contract either.

When I spoke to the client before, I was probably more sure that I could make the deadline. If I ask him for more time now, is he likely to give the other freelancer the job?  If I tell him about my situation, would that be good or bad?

EDIT: Suppose I do say "I'm not sure I can finish it by this deadline. Is there a possibility of extending it?"  Should I explain *why* I'm not sure -- that is, because I have another job and may have yet another one?

1 REPLY 1
spectralua
Community Member

Be honst always. Say that you will try to do in 5 days, but will do i 7 days for sure. When second candidate will broke deadline (and receive bad feedback because lied) client will hire you. 

Take only job you able to do for sure. Want 7 days - never take job with 5 days only deadline.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members