🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Definition Of "US Person" On Tax/Payment Sett...
Page options
editingjack
Community Member

Definition Of "US Person" On Tax/Payment Settings

Hi everyone, 

I've just been setting up my account to be paid for the first time, and while most things went without a hitch, there's a part I'm still unsure about. 

When setting up tax settings, does freelancing on Upwork (an American company) make any difference to my W-8BEN? I'm from the UK and am not a "US Person", but does me being on this site as a freelancer make any difference? Essentially, is "non-US person" the correct choice?

I know this question is a little bit strange, but I just want to make sure I get this 100% correct and out of the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
NikolaS

Hi Jack,

I would be happy to help. I would like to clarify that Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. While all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork.

You may need to consult with a legal advisor about how to properly report your taxes.

You may want to check this help article for more information about Form W-8BEN. Additionally, you can find more information on this page

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members