🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Direct-message from Upwork Plus Client withou...
Page options
alokeshwar
Community Member

Direct-message from Upwork Plus Client without job-posting?

I got this message today in upwork without a job post. I could not even view the client profile and previosus job. I reported this message to upwork and blocked the client. Is there a way to view client profile for such direct messages?

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Aloke,

Plus clients are able to send direct messages to freelancers prior to creating a job post. For more information, you may refer to this announcement we posted here. As for your concern with viewing the client's history, this is available to you once you submit a proposal to a job. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

This client sent this Skype, email and phone number without and job description. Is that okay in direct message? I reported the message and blocked the client because I thought it was a scam.

Aloke T wrote:
This client sent this Skype, email and phone number without and job description. Is that okay in direct message? I reported the message and blocked the client because I thought it was a scam.

Yes, that is okay. The client can send their skype, email and phone number in direct messages. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aloke, 

Thank you for flagging this client's message so that they can be investigated further. While clients and freelancers can exchange contact information (provided they both agreed to contact each other outside of Upwork) to discuss the scope of the project, we always recommend recapping the highlight of your discussion with the client in your Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery O wrote:

Hi Aloke, 

Thank you for flagging this client's message so that they can be investigated further. While clients and freelancers can exchange contact information (provided they both agreed to contact each other outside of Upwork) to discuss the scope of the project, we always recommend recapping the highlight of your discussion with the client in your Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

No, I don't think this is worded right. A client or freelancer absolutely can provide the other party their own skype, email and phone without the other ever asking for that information. However, they can not contact you outside of Upwork until the other agrees to it.

For example, this exchange would be OK: 

Client: "Hi, My name in Mike. I like your profile. Can we talk about my project further? Here's my phone number and email: 888-123-4567 anyemail@anyemail.com"....there the client just gave their number and email without the freelancer first ageeing to discussing the project off upwork

Freelancer response: Sure, I'm available on Monday at 12:00. I'll call you then. 

or 

Freelancer reponse: Thanks for the info, but I prefer to discuss projects on Upwork if that's ok with you. 

In both of the scenarios, the client did nothing wrong by providing their contact information to the freelancer without the freelancer ever asking for it. 

But, let me know if I'm wrong about that. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members