🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute with a client
Page options
6b5805ce
Community Member

Dispute with a client

Hello

My client had made three milestones for a project given to me. I completed the first milestone to which he asked for font setting changes in the files which I did and resubmitted. He approved the files and released the payment and activated the second milestone. Now suddenly he wants to cancel the contract saying I am not formal and he does not want to continue. I am asking him to let me know the mistakes done by me. He is not telling anything about that and is asking me to take money for the little amount of work done by me and give permission for refund of the funded milestone 2. I am requesting him to let me know the problem but he is adamant and wants to end the contract. I am worried about my reviews too. I need help and guidance as to what I can do and what my rights are. Can I do something about the contract as I wish to complete milestone 2.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Neha B wrote:

Can I do something about the contract as I wish to complete milestone 2.

Why would you want to work with a client who doesn't appreciate your work and absolutely does not want to work with you further? Even if you wanted to force a client to work with you, you can't.

If you haven't completed the work for milestone 2, just let the client have their escrow funds back and leave it alone. If the client has not yet closed the contract, close it yourself.

tagrendy
Community Member

If he is asking for a refund only for milestone 2 and you haven't started working on it, I'd say give him the refund and try to end on good terms. If you go into dispute over this, it will only make him angrier and more likely to leave the worst review. I'm a bit confused on what he meant by "not formal"? Does he refer to the communication style? 

Yes, according to him I was informal in my communication style. We hardly had any communication and whatever little messages we exchanged I was very respectful and humble.

a_lipsey
Community Member

If he's willing to pay for the bit of work done, and just wants a refund for what you did not do, then the most professional thing would be to grant that request. You won't mesh perfectly with every client. This client does not want to continue with you, but he's respectful enough that he agrees to pay you for work so far. The best way to deal with it would be to agree and say "thank you for the opportunity." 

He is not required to tell you what he didn't like, and maybe he's uncomfortable too. If you badger him to continue working when he doesn't want to, you may end up with very bad feedback as well. Don't make the situation any worse by bugging him for feedback on what's wrong. Just agree to the refund, take what he's paid you for the work to-date, and move on.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members