🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 'Document typing' job posting - scam?
Page options
dbf62c8a
Community Member

'Document typing' job posting - scam?

So I applied to a job posting titled "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" regarding converting PDF files to Word. I received a message from them shortly afterward, saying "**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I checked out a bit online and found out that it is a freelancing company that recruits personnel by posting random jobs on Fiverr and Upwork. **Edited for Community Guidelines**While I read through, I also realized that they work via telegram and ask for a security deposit as well. 

This is a scam, isn't it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

It's a scam.

They are trying to steal money from you.

No real client asks a freelancer for money.

No real client asks a freelancer to communicate via Telegram prior to officially hiring a freelancer.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

It's a scam.

They are trying to steal money from you.

No real client asks a freelancer for money.

No real client asks a freelancer to communicate via Telegram prior to officially hiring a freelancer.

How I work a freelancer in this application??

Hi Emad,

It looks like you've had your account for a while but hasn't started any projects yet. We’re here to help you navigate the world of online work. Let’s go back to the basics here at Upwork. You’ll find a list of essential resources here.

Below there are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey!

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello sir my self sapna Kumari 

H

Same situation is with me

Same scam with me also

Tell me about some trust website 

Ok

Preston H

Hello sir my self sapna saini form india

b0d87286
Community Member

I have 2 year experience in computer typing 

I have completed DIT in computer science 

b0d87286
Community Member

My name is Suhail Ali Shaikh I'm from Pakistan 

So I applied to a job posting titled "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" regarding converting PDF files to Word. I received a message from them shortly afterward, saying "**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I checked out a bit online and found out that it is a freelancing company that recruits personnel by posting random jobs on Fiverr and Upwork. **Edited for Community Guidelines**While I read through, I also realized that they work via telegram and ask for a security deposit as well. 

yes

nicole_v_
Community Member

I see so many of that exact job listing every single day. All of those listings asking someone to do that task are scams. Never take any job that asks to convert PDF to Word, they're all scams. Also, the momen someone mentions Telegram or deposits, immediately cease communications. Block and report them.

The question is why Upwork doesn't do anything against this spam campaing? I am tired of looking for a job and seeing same spam posts every time. I reported at least 20 of them.

db5efefd
Community Member

i have 15 year work experience as a typist

6751e718
Community Member

So I applied to a job posting titled "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" regarding converting PDF files to Word. I received a message from them shortly afterward, saying "**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I checked out a bit online and found out that it is a freelancing company that recruits personnel by posting random jobs on Fiverr and Upwork. **Edited for Community Guidelines**While I read through, I also realized that they work via telegram and ask for a security deposit as well. 

Of course it is. A real client will bever ask you to pay anything to get paid, and communicating outside Upwork before being officially hired on Upwork is a violation of Upwork Terms of Service. Please review them and go through the Academy courses in the top menu before sending/accepting proposals.

Salman H wrote:

I checked out a bit online and found out that it is a freelancing company that recruits personnel by posting random jobs on Fiverr and Upwork.

The scammers aren't from a freelancing company - they're just using the name of a real recruitment agency - and they're not really hiring anyone; they're just looking for people to steal from. Typing jobs that offer high rates of pay are always scams.

3d88016b
Community Member

Can I find job on Upwork as a typing expert

Yes i find typing job

Really ?? Kese

58e07959
Community Member

Hello, im facing the same situation, i didnt know until it seemed to be to good to be true. In my case, they already send me the PDF document that i have to type, but didnt ask me for any money, the thing is they did it thru telegram, and they're saying the payment goes thru a local bank account, so this is still a scam right? im also pretty new at freelancing. 

7931151b
Community Member

I have also experienced this received a job named retype images to pdf. But asked me to contact on telegram is this scam?

Hi Paras,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that sharing contact info prior to a contract starting is against ToS and one of the most common scams is when the client wants to take your conversation to Telegram.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
0518aa31
Community Member

i find typing job

0518aa31
Community Member

i find typing job

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members