🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Doubt - Hiring outside of UpWork is a violati...
Page options
centeio_inaia
Community Member

Doubt - Hiring outside of UpWork is a violation, but are there exceptions?

Hello,

I've been a member of UpWork for a few years and I know you can't hire outside the platform, but I was wondering if there are any exceptions.

A big client (and an old one, as he's been a member of the platform for almost 10 years) of UpWork contacted me directly through UpWork. He sent me a direct message and the interview took place via the UpWork chat. However, the company doesn't do long-term contracts through UpWork.

In this case, is hiring outside of UpWork a violation or does UpWork allow it?

Regards,

12 REPLIES 12
khushbu_gohil
Community Member

Hii!

I just curious why they are not preferring Upwork?

if that is outside hiring you can prepare agreement doc for safety for both side...and they didn't hire you on Upwork so I guess it's not any violation because it's in early stage of project discussion

Hi Khushbu,

They prefer to pay for the work through another platform. That's why I want to know if there's an exception or not, because it's a company that's been on UpWork for almost 10 years and I think this is the way they hire freelancers.

Regards,

Looks like Strong company profile..as it's their decision you can discuss mutually because they are planning something else might possible that's why preferring other way

I spoke to the customer and I'm waiting to hear back from him because I want to know what he says about this.

Thank you.

Yeah it's always good to ask customer support for clarification

wrote:

if that is outside hiring you can prepare agreement doc for safety for both side...and they didn't hire you on Upwork so I guess it's not any violation because it's in early stage of project discussion

You "guess" that there's not any violation? You should get your facts straight or not provide advice at all, because you're completely wrong. If you meet a client through Upwork, they need to hire you on Upwork and continue to pay you ONLY via Upwork for a period of two years. 

Ohkay I will take care of it...Thank you so much for clarification

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It doesn't matter how "big" the client is or how long they've been on Upwork; if you just met them, then no, you can't accept a contract off of Upwork unless you want to be permanently banned. Contracts need to be paid via Upwork for a period of two years from the date that you first made contact with a client. No exceptions, unless the client wants to pay thousands of dollars as an opt-out fee - and no client in their right mind would ever do that.

Hi Christine,

If this is a violation, there is a violation on both sides. I've already sent the customer a message.

Thank you.

Yes, there's a violation on both sides, but they have less to lose than you do. 

You need to contact the client and tell them you made an error, and everything must stay on Upwork until the Upwork contract is in place. At no time can you exchange money outside of Upwork. The client will lose their account and will have to hire elsewhere. An inconvenience, but not a problem as there are lots of ways and places to hire. You will lose your Upwork account and not be able to use the platform.

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for your reply.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members