🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Email required
Page options
b141bc5f
Community Member

Email required

Hi guys, Upwork clients are requiring my email for interview before hiring. 

Is it ok to give my email to them or is it against the privacy of Upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Having a good feeling about a client is not a reason to violate Upwork's Terms of Service. A legitimate client usually have no problem to follow the rules. If they do not reply back, they were not that interested to do business on Upwork.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Just remind them that Upwork requires all pre-contract communication occur over Upwork channels - the project message board or Upwork's version of Zoom.

Neither of those channels requires the client to know your email address.

Once a contract is in place you can communicate in any way your client prefers.

Thanks for your reply!

But sometimes some clients give me good feeling. He/she doesn't look like fake job poster. In this case, I if put my email on the message board considering his suggestion, my account will be suspended?
Because they didn't reply when I said that Upwork was not allowed to put any personal contact info and went away from me.

elisa_b
Community Member

They did not reply because they wanted it. Don't share your email. 

6f1ca403
Community Member

thinking the required email was a good access to communicate with the freelancer

This is not allowed. 

Having a good feeling about a client is not a reason to violate Upwork's Terms of Service. A legitimate client usually have no problem to follow the rules. If they do not reply back, they were not that interested to do business on Upwork.

agreed 

6f1ca403
Community Member

It ok

nicole_v_
Community Member

Never give anyone your email prior to establishing a contract. Even once a contract is in place, it's still not a good idea to provide your email. UpWork's messaging platform has all the necessary features, so there is no reason why any legitimate client would ever need your email to proceed. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey David, I always remind the Client of Upwork's Terms since many are new users and don't know the rules. Many will comply with the rules. Others insist and in my experience those would be Clients attempting to commit fraud. Avoid them. Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members