🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Expensive and not helpful: "Pay $2.5 for each...
Page options
webpolis
Community Member

Expensive and not helpful: "Pay $2.5 for each job proposal! Proposals views not guaranteed!"

I have been developing my career in Upwork for more than a decade. But suddenly, during the last couple of years, it started to be too expensive to land a minimal quality job: 16 connects to apply for a single job! While the Plus plan gives you 80 connects a month, you may only be able to apply to just 4 or 5 jobs a month... which is absolutely insufficient because there are probably +50 others freelancers as applicants, hence you just waste your money and your proposal isn't even viewed.

I have a Top Rated badge plus great reviews from my clients but I am not receiving any response from proposals I sent weeks to months ago. Only 1 out of 10 of my proposals are viewed.

What is going on here?

Upwork has become the least reliable platform to find a quality job. It has now become into a money making machine for their management staff but not for the freelancers.

50 REPLIES 50
Community Member

You are in software development. I don't think that the jobs to which you apply receive 50+ applications.. Try 100+, 150+, 200+ applications, many of which are the result of auto-proposal API. Getting a 10% view rate is actually decent in that context.

I don't think it is an Upwork problem in this case. I think you simply are in a field that is nearly supply-saturated.

Jonathan L wrote:

many of which are the result of auto-proposal API. Getting a 10% view rate is actually decent in that context.

Really, is there no way of stopping this?

IDK how one could. If any web UI engineers read this, maybe they have an idea.

yofazza
Community Member

The supply and demand are greatly imbalanced. We can't expect clients to read 50+ proposals, especially when the 'garbage' ones are the first few ones they click (although evidence suggests that the garbage ones can also get clients who then end up ranting in the client forum).

The imbalance is by (their) design. They need to open the gate and provide the same 'perception of opportunity' to the vast number of freelancers to support their latest idea of taking profits! from most freelancers who usually only incur losses (by roaming the servers without generating any fees).

They make it 'harder' for most proposal snippets to be seen (just the snippet, not the actual proposal yet) by putting them behind the 'other proposals'  link, etc.

atreglia
Community Member

Radia L wrote:

They make it 'harder' for most proposal snippets to be seen (just the snippet, not the actual proposal yet) by putting them behind the 'other proposals'  link, etc.

I’m not entirely sure I understood your comment and I am also not a client, but just the other day I read in the clients forum there was a valid and qualified proposal that the algorithm placed at the end of the list under (para phrasing) “Other/Doesn’t meet qualifications”.  So I guess this means that if there are 50+ proposals over three or so pages, we can very well be at the end of the list under “Other” and not even know it?  If so, I take exception to this because I feel that as long as talent is no longer a priority (as evidenced by boosting), we should at least have the benefit of knowing our proposal was placed in the same order it was received.  I mean, let’s level the playing field; if I’m paying the same 16 connects as the next person, qualified or not, then why should my proposal be subject to some opaque Upwork algo that clearly cannot differentiate between a qualified vs. non-qualified proposal then stick me at the end in the "Other" list.  My 16 connects is worth as much as the next 16 connects, no matter the qualification, and that should be all there is to it.

This was an issue years ago when Upwork unilaterally decided to place algo-determined “unqualified” proposals in an Archive folder.  There were a lot of complaints and Upwork said they stopped doing this.  Little did I ever know that they still doing the same thing, but instead of an Archive folder they stick the proposal at the bottom labeled “Other”.  Honestly, if this is game where money is the object, as it seems to be, Upwork needs to remove itself from anything other than collecting it.

Anna T wrote:

This was an issue years ago when Upwork unilaterally decided to place algo-determined “unqualified” proposals in an Archive folder.  There were a lot of complaints and Upwork said they stopped doing this.  Little did I ever know that they still doing the same thing, but instead of an Archive folder they stick the proposal at the bottom labeled “Other”.  Honestly, if this is game where money is the object, as it seems to be, Upwork needs to remove itself from anything other than collecting it.

Yes I remember this happening and the, resulting complaints all over the forum, like you say - things changed that time fairly quickly from what i rememeber. 

I think the trouble is now, Upwork seems to be marketing itself and behaving like a cheap fiver-esque copy but built on the foundations of what used to be a professional platform.

They clearly dont know which elements will or will not mix and rather than defining the platform as the 'go to place' for professionals they are trying to sneak into the fiver world but not fully commiting to the model (thankfuly). As such we are left with this mix of a platform that was built as a professional site for professional freelancers to operate on but that is trying to operate based on price and volume only.

I can only assume it is all an effort to bring in as much cash as possible in as short a period as possible. If they can bring the finances to a point that are not as bad as they have been previously, perhaps they can offload the site elsewhere and escape with something to show for it - even if they do destroy the platform in the process. 

Jonathan H wrote:

Yes I remember this happening and the, resulting complaints all over the forum, like you say - things changed that time fairly quickly from what i rememeber. 

As such we are left with this mix of a platform that was built as a professional site for professional freelancers to operate on but that is trying to operate based on price and volume only.

I can only assume it is all an effort to bring in as much cash as possible in as short a period as possible. If they can bring the finances to a point that are not as bad as they have been previously, perhaps they can offload the site elsewhere and escape with something to show for it - even if they do destroy the platform in the process. 

I’m glad you remember that because I was relatively new and so a bit foggy about what everyone was talking about.  All I knew was that something pretty funky was going on and in great mass the forum spoke up and it was changed.  I am also glad we finally agree on something; offloading the site somewhere with something to show for it, as I’ve strongly suspected this for quite a while now.

In the meantime, I gotta say that when I read about that “Other” proposal thingie I was pretty miffed.  Upwork no longer cares what qualifications we have anymore, so why clog the progress with a poor algorithm, or any algorithm at all for that matter.  I mean, if talent/skills are no longer a discerning factor, then leave it at the money and let the chips fall where they may.  I mean, not trying to be funny, haha, but that’d probably calm my butt down because I’d at least be better able to find my way around here better than I can now.

Part of the reason I’m saying what I am is because, like a fool, I created a specialized profile.  I don’t know why I did that other than everyone was saying to do it, and being new, I did it too.  That said, I don’t always remember to switch my profile when sending a proposal so now I’m thinking here’s one more reason to add to low “viewed” stats as those proposals are probably going straight to the “Other/Unqualified” pile.  I don’t ever remember being told that, nor do I remember ever reading about it.  So…one more hoop discovered and jumped over!  Granted, that was my fault-I own that one.  But it just seems it’s always something here-some quirk that Upwork continues to throw in the mix that doesn’t need to be there in the current money driven climate we are in.   I think you’re right, Jonathan, the old and the new are not mixing well.  Thanks for sharing your opinion-I surely do appreciate it  🙂

yofazza
Community Member

I posted that after I posted this one below, which explains better about my views on these things.

Yes you're right about the 'other proposals' part. I did some tests, and my personal opinion is that 'skills matching,' etc., are not the only things that could put me in the 'other proposals' folder. They want to make sure all their new 'source of income' has equal opportunity for being seen.

And there are other things like the removal off JSS from client's view, etc.

Honestly, if this is game where money is the object, as it seems to be, Upwork needs to remove itself from anything other than collecting it.

In another post below, I mentioned that all they ever have are net losses, so I can't complain if they're trying to change that.

debi-f
Community Member

Hi Nicolas,

I'm in the same situation. I work here for 13 years now, and Upwork has changed, there are fewer invitations, more connects to apply, a lot of scammers, and even when you flag them, Upwork is not helping.

I don't pay a membership, I receive only 10 connects/month, and sometimes I don't even use them all. And, if I used them, I only buy 10 connects ($1.5) if I find a real job that fits well my skills, and I don't boost my bids. 

I agree, it seems that Upwork is doing its business selling connects, that's why there are jobs that require 16 connects, and they allow people to boost their bids with 50 connects or more. I think that if the client is serious, he will hire according to your skills and not to the amount of connects. Maybe, new freelancers that are searching for their first job buy and boost bids with up to 50 connects, even for scam jobs. And Upwork accepts it and doesn't identify and delete scammers before they post their scam jobs.  

Upwork sells connects and also take a fee from freelancers. Unfortunately, as you say, Upwork is becoming not helpful, not professional and expensive. 

webpolis
Community Member

And they hire people to reply to this kind of posts to justify Upwork's actions (just see the other two replies here): you post, and in a matter of seconds you see the same people over and over, replying and defending the robbery.

So you think Upwork hired me? haha I wish!

I have offered services to Upwork on many occasions (usually when I am complaining about their terrible management of scam jobs) but never been offered payroll!

Belive what you like, but dont post onto an open forum expecting just one point of view as its very unlikely to happen!

It's just a way of trying to steer the discussion into a chaotic mess of back and forth and never address the topic. When there are no facts or logic expressed, other than "I don't want to pay anything unless I am guaranteed work" they have nothing for debate.

They want it both ways - I am a freelancer, so I can schedule and work the way I want, but, I am an employee and expect everything to be given to me including guaranteed work because I am here.

I, too, have been accused of being an employee of Upwork. Apparently, people do not read my posts. I am not an Upwork cheerleader. However, I believe if people are going to continue to make unfounded and unproven accusations, they should have to make up for these alleged payments. 

It's noise and distraction to deflect from the topic. More and more common in the forum. When they reach the "you are a spy/employee/etc." stage, they have nothing.

Yes, i think you are quite right and that about sums it up -

I tried on this thread last week, but no matter how many times I asked a question in my reply to try and gain some kind of understanding of that side of the argument, and encourage some kind of cohearant dialogue I was met with random statements about chatGPT or 'woe is me' chants! 

I give up - which is a shame as i was really hoping to find out what this other mythical site is, that has a supply of top quality clients and is free to use - because the dwindling supply of decent clients here is one thing i do agree on so would be happy to hear about other options that work!

I know I'm not the only one that appreciates your efforts.

It is absurd on a communication board that some won't tolerate

people trying to make a positive difference.

Jeanne H wrote:

It's just a way of trying to steer the discussion into a chaotic mess of back and forth and never address the topic. When there are no facts or logic expressed, other than "I don't want to pay anything unless I am guaranteed work" they have nothing for debate.

Being a part of another big discussion on the forum, I had the opportunity to read a lot of opinions, yours included, and here is what I can summarise was used by you and another forum user to steer the discussion into a chaotic mess:

- stating everyone is blindly applyig to job posts they are not qualified for;

- stating clients hate to read through 100s of proposals;

- stating that people are saying they don't want to spend connects to apply for jobs;

- dissing people for falling for scam schemes;

- stating the problem with the platform is there are too many freelancers on the platform;

- telling people they should stop complaining, stop working for little $ (I guess charge more?) which, OK, but is still a different subject;

Expressing the concern that the connects have become 2x more expensive in a subject about expensive connects is, I'd say right on topic.

yofazza
Community Member

What's your view on:

• Upwork never made a profit.
  • They have the right to try to change that.

I agree connects are expensive, I'm very cheap, but I can't complain because of the two things above.

And btw from your other post, if you only get 1 interview every 5 viewed proposals, you know what you can try to improve. Unlike me, my proposals are not even viewed. Your 50% view to sent ratio is high btw., are you sure it's correct?

elytn
Community Member

I'm not familiar with their finances. They have every right to take actions to make the platform profitable.

Do I think that it's healthy long-term to be a platform that makes its money by selling connects and affiliate links as opposed to a marketplace for freelance work? - No. Is it better instead to work towards creating a safe and thriving environment for both clients and freelancers? - Yes!

To your second question - yes, these % are correct (52.94% open rate to be exact). I don't know what a good open to interview rate is, but I've noticed that lately more often than not clients don't interview - not just me but anyone at all - they don't hire, and just leave their job posts open.

yofazza
Community Member

Do I think that it's healthy long-term to be a platform that makes its money by selling connects and affiliate links as opposed to a marketplace for freelance work? - No. Is it better instead to work towards creating a safe and thriving environment for both clients and freelancers? - Yes!

They tried running a 'high-quality freelance marketplace' for years, but all they have is net loss (it's not uncommon for startups to experience losses for years btw).

Maybe the investors are starting to question, and the management got this idea of opening the entire freelancer's gate to take profits from them. They have the biggest memberbase, where most of those members are only putting burden (cost for running many powerful servers) without generating any fees, so their idea might actually help with the cost. Actually I'm thinking it does help, because despite all the rants, they add a boosting slot and raise the proposal cost even more instead. I even read some posts about jobs requiring 20+ connects but never seen one myself, if it's true then it's really great where they raise it 3 times in less than 6 months?

But of course, we still need to see what will happen next. There might be a point where all the connect buyers and proposal boosters are fed up and no longer want to do it, while clients are also gone because they got fed up with the scamming freelancers*. I'm sure the managements are staring 0_0 at numbers everyday to prevent this from happening or to run some backup plan if it starts to happen.

As for proposal view to sent ratio, it usually around 20%. Some lower, some higher, probably related to the niche, etc, and 50% is pretty high from what I can observe on this forum. The 20% I'm guessing is happened along with the changes, because I feel a different experience before the changes (I send  proposals, I wake up with interviews).

(*) scamming freelancers: Not all of them are scamming intentionally, but we see Upwork making some changes in how they 'present' freelancers to the client to support their great idea of (as someone said) "monetizing the perception of opportunity".

tlsanders
Community Member

Publicly traded corporations don't focus on the long-term. It sucks and is one of the big things wrong with US business today, but it's a fact. Quarterly profits are king. 

Greater than 50% open rate is great. 20% of people opening your proposals contacting you is quite dismal. You may want to revisit your approach to proposals. 

Apparently, you don't realize who I was responding to, or why.

I stand by my statements. When someone has no facts, and nothing to support their fantasies/accusations/bizarro world ideas, they often resort to deflection, i.e. "you work for Upwork."

I'm sorry you don't understand how the thread works, but that is who and what I was responding to in my post. When someone resorts to a discussion by throwing in insults, that's deflection. It means they have nothing to debate, have lost the argument, and are flailing with garbage in the desperate hope someone will engage them, and the discussion will be lost.

- stating everyone is blindly applyig to job posts they are not qualified for;

Never, ever, said that. You are not telling the truth, but using your opinion. I have never made that statement. I h ave said many freelancers, or the most or the majority or the unskilled, but I have never suggested or stated "everyone" is doing what you say. Wrong! Next.

- stating clients hate to read through 100s of proposals;

Well, that's a fact. Clients are fleeing this platform, and the big reason is garbage proposals from unskilled and scammer freelancers. I am not going to explain, again, that I deal with a lot of freelancers and clients in ways you could not imagine (helping for free). It is fact. It is a fact, most freelancers will never get a job (see Upwork)

- stating that people are saying they don't want to spend connects to apply for jobs;

They don't. Have you read the forum? Freelancers are mad, hurt, and ticked off in a big way they have to pay anything. Some are willing to pay .15 per job, and others refuse to pay anything because they are not guaranteed a job. Not to mention my private feeds full of unskilled people who demand jobs.

- dissing people for falling for scam schemes;

Fact: if freelancers would stop intentionally violating the Terms, the scammers would leave. I talk to freelancers every day that say, "I knew it was too good to be true", "I knew it was breaking the rules, but I wanted the job" "I knew it was wrong, but it was a lot of money", how many thousands of examples would you like me to use?

It IS the freelancers fault for breaking the rules. This is not kindergarten, this is adults being in business. If you don't have marketable skills, money, time, patience and again, those marketable skills, you will fail. Also, the understanding that you pay for everything. If freelancers don't want to play by the rules, they should seek employment where they are told what to do.

- stating the problem with the platform is there are too many freelancers on the platform;

Fact: there are far too many unskilled freelancers on the platform. If you received hundreds of garbage proposals, why would you use Upwork?

Upwork admits most never get a job, but the unskilled will throw connects like mad trying to get a job they never will. If 90% of the unskilled, inactive, and scammer freelancers were gone, every real freelancer would benefit. Clients would return, and the platform wouldn't be going down to the 5 v rr level.

- telling people they should stop complaining, stop working for little $ (I guess charge more?) which, OK, but is still a different subject;

Yep, you bet. Stop complaining about basic business costs and be an adult. Upwork has plenty of real issues that must be addressed, but paying your way ain't one of 'em. This is not "learn to be a freelancer 101." This is not the place to figure out how to make money, because it won't happen.

People should stop applying for dirt cheap jobs. What is the point? If you have skills, charge for them. It's one thing to give a bit of a discount when you are new, but quite another to be taking a real job for a pittance. It serves no one except for the cheap user clients.

I am not going to tell people soft little lies to boost their ego when they will not make it, or worse, they are spending their last dollars in a vain attempt to make money.  I suppose you encourage people who have never been in water, can't swim, don't know how to get out of trouble in the water, can't afford a life jacket - to jump in and have a good ole swim.

The truth may not be pleasant to hear, but I believe everyone deserves to know. If I was not going to make it with my current skills, and be relegated to scams or a dirt cheap job occasionally, I would greatly appreciate knowing the truth.

I'm not saying some of these statements aren't true, I'm stating they are dilluting the subject of the cost of connects increase, and what they actually buy us. Or, the "investment" as Upwork calls it.

I personally support some of these statements, and would only object to the one that people don't want to use connects. We'd all be fine to be back to 2/4/6/8 connects, even though these were also somewhat expensive, we just don't like spending 16 connects on jobs that don't even have enough value to justify that number. From what I've read thus far, some industries go as high as 22. Another way we'd all be happy spending these, is if they actually had less risk involved, which they currently don't.

And in case you're wondering why people think you and some other forum accounts are working for Upwork - it's because you're defending decisions that affects negatively every single hard-working regular - not spammer or farm bot - freelancer on the platform, newbies and Top Rated Plus with 40K earnings under their belt alike, and you seem happy when the rest of us are alarmed.

And in case you're wondering why people think you and some other forum accounts are working for Upwork - it's because you're defending decisions that affects negatively every single hard-working regular - not spammer or farm bot - freelancer on the platform, newbies and Top Rated Plus with 40K earnings under their belt alike, and you seem happy when the rest of us are alarmed.

This is precisely why I stopped advising businesses. They are often like the freelancers who come to me, insisting they will do ANYTHING to be a good freelancer...and then you check back, and they have done nothing, or worse, they are again at my cyber door demanding help again because they are losing it all.

I think we should all take note that the majority of freelancers seem to be OK with the connects because despite protestations, everyone hasn't left. There are releatively few freelancers complaining. I suspect most are working or trying to work and don't really care about more connects.

I couldn't care less if people think I am an employee. I really don't care what random, unknown people on a message board have to say to me personally. Why would I? Why would anyone? The problem is, by turning it personal, the point is lost, which is the poster's intention. As I said, when you have lost the argument, you resort to deflection. That's why I care.

Freelancers have power. If we work together, stop breaking the Terms, stop giving away work to try and get a job, stop working for free or pennies, and accept that self-employment has costs, the platform would improve.

No one needs to send hundreds or even dozens of proposals a month. If you aren't getting a job, it's your skills, or you are applying to the wrong jobs, probably scams. If there aren't jobs that seem valid with decent pay, find something else. Everyone needs to look at their ROI at least yearly, and quarterly is best. Personally, I find little here, but fortunately, Upwork is sending clients outside the platform.

Think about a platform with rules, limits, and tests. They exist, and Upwork used to be one of them. Those platforms have no scams (I'm sure every platform has some, somewhere), have good clients who pay well, and quality jobs. It isn't a fantasy, but as long as the scammers can feast with victims coming to them, every genuine, skilled freelancer will suffer as the clients continue to flee.

tlsanders
Community Member

Only by coming in with such a fixed mindset that it colors your ability to comprehend what you are reading could you come away with most of those conclusions

A few are just basic facts, and it's weird that you consider sharing accurate information to be an attempt to stir chaos. The vast majority of proposals are not read--it's one of the many things unsuccessful freelancers are complaining about. Does that not in any way suggest to you that clients don't want to read 100 proposals? Are you really working that hard to refute anything that suggests you may have control of your own success that you don't see clients consistently NOT reading 100 proposals as a clue that maybe they don't want to?

debi-f
Community Member

Yes, I also see this! 

Also, there are people on LinkedIn that publish posts thanking Upwork for their first great job…  

I also asked to Upwork a payment for wasting hours flagging scammers, but as didn't receive an offer, I don't flag anymore. 

That's a tragic fantasy you have, that it is so impossible that some freelancers might be successful and understand how business works that the only possible explanation for them disagreeing with you is that someone is paying them off. 

hoyle_editing
Community Member

You do not have to spend the money on connects. If you are aware of a location to find work that is free to use and free to apply then i am sure many here (me included) would be very interested. 

You refer to the fact you have developed your 'career' on upwork, and whilst I understand your point, you should be thinking of it as developing your business, as that is what your career is as a freelancer. Connects are just a business cost, and should be factored into your hourly charge (or job price). If you are getting one interview/job per 10/20/30 proposals, work out the average cost of a new job, then add that into your costings so it is covered.

I dont understand why it is such an issue for so many people. I admit in the short term its an inconveinience, you need to get accustomed to the new system, and perhaps spend a little time and money whilst you figure things out, but there is no reason anyone should be out of pocket long term. once you have accounted for the change there is no reason to be any further out of pocket. 

I understand all you say (even if it's part of a script as I'm sure you've been hired to provide counter-arguments against anything that could damage Upwork's reputation, as I've seen you're way too active in the forums).

It is way too expensive. I have tried (and currently trying) several other platforms: none of them charge anything for submitting proposals.

No matter how much of a fancy marketing speech you provide to justify this robbery, applying for jobs in Upwork is EXPENSIVE and (lately) USELESS.

If they dont charge anything for proposals then they likely charge in another way such as a membership fee? However, if you have managed to find a platform that provides it all for free then thats great, id be interested to know where as its always good to diversify. 

I dont think applying for jobs is expensive - Yes, its more expensive than it was, but its not expensive. I also agree the quality of the clients has got considerably worse lately, which ironically means its actually cheaper as there is less quality jobs to apply to!

However, it should still be a cost that is passed on to the client, thats not marketing speak or trying to justify anything, its just simple, basic business.

Edited to add:

It would actually make sense for them to increase the cost considerably. One of the big issues i see is the amount of unqualified people bidding for jobs that they are not capable of doing. This annoys clients (causing them to leave, hence the poor quality recently) as they have to sift through worthless bad proposals and end up leaving before hiring. If the cost was significantly increased it would make it unviable for people to do this and likely drive a better client base (I also think a high priced membership would work for this purpose though it would be hard to justify given the recent low quality)

The "connects" system is an absolute scam: you spend money, and you are not guaranteed a job. But, if you are hired, Upwork will take 10% for every hour you work. Win-Win for Upwork, Loose-Loose for freelancers.

I bet things will change once Upwork updates their main website:

"Pay $2.5 for each job submission! Submission views not guaranteed! Neither we cannot guarantee the job isn't pure crap."

With all due respect, if its such a scam what are you doing here, i genuinely dont understand?

You are right, they take 10% once you start the job. This is 10% lower than it was for the first $500, so thats $50 you save on every job you land (assuming its higher than 500)

"Pay $2.5 for each job submission! Submission views not guaranteed! 

So with the $50 you saved on the fee you can now apply to 20 jobs before it cost you anything right?

Neither we cannot guarantee the job isn't pure crap."

Its up to you to choose jobs that are likely to be decent - its always been like that! dont apply to the crap jobs its quite simple.

Jonathan H wrote:

So with the $50 you saved on the fee you can now apply to 20 jobs before it cost you anything right?

I agree with this statement being true for the industries where a 500$ job is the norm, which is really NOT the majority of the freelancers here, and the ones being affected the hardest by the increase in connects needed to apply for jobs. 

If anything, now it's even harder to land one of the very few big-budget contract as everyone prioritises applying to those.

tlsanders
Community Member

You raise a good point. The majority of freelancers here make little or  no money, meaning that they are a huge tax on the Upwork system. Imagine trying to run a business where you served 2.5 million people but only 200,000 of them ever paid you anything. That is what Upwork would be without paid connects.

And what happens when a freelancer does land a $10 job?  Wahoo! Upwork makes a dollar!

I feel for the freelancers who are dependent on those tiny jobs, but the only reason it is fiscally reasonable for Upwork to host them at all is the revenue from connects. 

I agree: increase the cost but RETURN THE CONNECTS if the job is awarded to someone else or gets cancelled/expired/etc or if you withdraw your proposal. That would be the most reasonable (and ethically correct) way to do it.

But what would be the point in having connects if everyone got them back except the winner of the job?

Look, there is machine learning now, ChatGPT. Upwork can quickly implement a system that will flag and auto-detect scammers/spammers who saturate the marketplace.

But they didn't do it because the Connects system isn't here to prevent such unlawful behavior but to suck the money out of freelancers.

Im not sure on the relevance of that, it certainly ignores the question.

Yes there are plently of forum members (myself included) that have been constantly pointing out how easy it should be for Upwork to implement various systems to prevent scam and spam jobs. But I thought this post was about the price of connects?

If spam/scam jobs are the problem then you need to be more selective about what you apply to. Maybe our niches are different, but for me at least, typically speaking those jobs are reasonably easy to spot, additionally doing some checks on the client as far as possible should help prevent applying to fake jobs.

HAHA, I see you have edited your post now!

NO, Upwork have certainly never paid me or asked me to post on their behalf.

If you had read any of the posts you claim I have made, you would see that a high percentage of them are actually calling Upwork out for its awful management of scams and how bad it is that they let new freelancers on unvetted and uncontrolled.

Im fairly sure they are not going to pay anyone to post that, but by all means keep telling yourself that anyone with a differing opinion is a paid part of the system! In the meantime I will continue to try and offer some constructive help to people, even the ones wearing a tin foil hat!

All right. You are not one of them. But you know, they do hire people to disguise as regular forum users to tweak the conversations in favor of Upwork. That's undeniable.

I very much doubt that, as someone who uses the forum a fair bit recently I have seen nothing that would suggest thats the case. In fact quite the opposite, I get infuriated by the canned responses they do give out that have little to no relevance on many occasions! (but thats a discussion for another time)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members