🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Extra hours billed not getting paid
Page options
f186651e
Community Member

Extra hours billed not getting paid

I have a weekly limit of 30h, but for the past couple of weeks I have gone over that amount. I make sure I always see the "overtime" hours on my reports but, I just realize all those overtime hours have not being paid, only the 30h.

Going back to my work diary I can´t see all the overtime I´ve worked over the past couple of weeks...Where can I see that? Should I contact my employer? Where does he/she can check for these overtime hours?

Cheers!

10 REPLIES 10
raju42
Community Member

Your Client should approve your overtime! Thanks

f186651e
Community Member

So, what happens to all the time I have billed using the Upwork timer? The client needs to approve the over time before the dateline on Thursday?

f186651e
Community Member

What if I enter the overtime manually? What´s the difference? Because, I remember adding the time manually the first couple of weeks and never had an issue. This was because I thought the timer stopped once it got to 30h and it won´t bill any more. But, I notice one time I went over and didn´t notice so I saw the timer billed all the overtime.

Roger, you don't get paid for thst time.

This was your mistake. The client has done nothing wrong.

The important thing for YOU to do is to understand how this all works.

Think about it. Read about it. Ask questions to clarify your understanding.

Then you will be able to take appropriate action in the future.

Important points:

You don't get paid for hours that exceed the maximum number of hours per week.

Clients aren't obligated to pay you for those hours.

It is rude to work more hours and then ask a client to pay.

If you get to the end of your hours, stop worrying.

You may wait until the next week. Or you may send a note to the client asking for more hours.

Ok lee´s get a few things cleared here...

"This was your mistake. The client has done nothing wrong."

I am not avoiding responsibility nor stating it was the client´s fault, I am not pointing fingers here just want to know why if the timer was running AFTER the weekly limit was reached those hours are not treated the same.

The important thing for YOU to do is to understand how this all works.

This is the main goal.

"Think about it. Read about it. Ask questions to clarify your understanding.

Then you will be able to take appropriate action in the future."

I thought that was exactly what I was doing

"You don't get paid for hours that exceed the maximum number of hours per week."

If the client doesn´t approve manual time to be added then the Upwork timer should NOT be able to bill hours after the weekly limit has been reached. 

"Clients aren't obligated to pay you for those hours."

It depends, again, the only reason why the Upwork timer should bill hours AFTER the weekly limit has reached is because the client has authorized manual time to be added. Which, by the way, this is the case.

"It is rude to work more hours and then ask a client to pay."

This doesn´t apply here, I am the "green light" from this client to bill as many hours as I need/required.

re: "If the client doesn´t approve manual time to be added then the Upwork timer should NOT be able to bill hours after the weekly limit has been reached... It depends, again, the only reason why the Upwork timer should bill hours AFTER the weekly limit has reached is because the client has authorized manual time to be added. Which, by the way, this is the case."

Roger:
You used the phrase "manual time" twice in your reply.

There is no connection between manual time and extra hours.

re: "This doesn´t apply here, I am the 'green light' from this client to bill as many hours as I need/required."

But that has nothing to do with whether or not you will actually get paid. Getting paid for extra hours doesn't happen. Because that's not how the software works. You get paid automatically based on how the source code is written, not based on your agreement with the client.

yofazza
Community Member

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068258-Contract-Weekly-Limit

So you shouldn't work over the limit in the first place. You should ask the client to increase the limit, or ask for bonus payment.

f186651e
Community Member

As stated above many times, the issue here is NOT me going over the limit, I have the green light and approval from the client. The issue here is that the timer went over the weekly limit which lead me to assume the overtime was going to be automatically added but, it didn´t.

I have the ability to add manual time, that´s NOT the issue. The issue here is that if a hourly contract has a weekly limit set at 30h the Upwork timer should NOT billed more than 30h.

yofazza
Community Member

The issue here is that the timer went over the weekly limit

You'll have some difficulties carrying that "opinion" when Upwork and most of other users think the other way around.

It needs to track the hours so for example both of you can see how many hours worked over the limit, when you ask for bonus payment.

Client's card should not be charged automatically because the point of the limit is to limit that charge.

spectralua
Community Member

You need ask client for limit increasing or all overtime will be lost. For other weeks it lost, you cannot see it anymore.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members