🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake profile?
Page options
Community Member

Fake profile?

Hi!

I sent an application for a translation english-italian, and a client accepted. After that, he deleted the advertisment of Upwork and contacted me on Telegram. The name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and he proposed me to translate 100 pages (or 50) in 3 days, to get 3600 dollars. How can I be sure that he is not fake?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christopherbudde
Community Member

It's a scam and since he wants to work off Upwork, it's also a violation of the terms. Run away.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
christopherbudde
Community Member

It's a scam and since he wants to work off Upwork, it's also a violation of the terms. Run away.

elisa_b
Community Member

Telegram, a ridiculous rate... Doesn't it ring any bells?

sofia2008
Community Member

Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. 

Such a high rate for someone wanting to experience translation is another red flag.

elisa_b
Community Member

Especially considering the last two sentences of your profile - nobody would pay you $3,600 just to let you "explore" the "funny challenge" of translation activities.

renata101
Community Member

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

You don't need to make sure - IT IS FAKE. 

It is a scam.  Flag it and move on.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Before you get scammed again, stop breaking rules because you think you are somehow special and going to get big money even though you have no portfolio, no history, no experience, and have never translated anything before.  Suddenly you are going to make $3600.00 with an $11.00 an hour fee. What did you do for the client? Did you buy them something?

If you don't follow the advice given in the forum and follow the rules, you will be scammed over and over again. Your profile makes you look like a perfect victim to scammers. Recognize that when someone offers you something for nothing, it isn't real, whether it's online or in the physical world.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Even without considering the ludicrously high pay as a first-time job offer, you can be sure that someone is fake if they want to hire you as a translator. Your profile says that you only speak one language fluently. 

cb16af81
Community Member

This is clearly a Scam, and outwith the terms of contract. I would bet that if you continued with this contact, they would ask for a registration fee to make sure you are genuinly interested ! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members