🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fixed price
Page options
3314778e
Community Member

Fixed price

Hello, I made a contract with a client and project budget is 300$. But  he put 150$ in escrow as first milestone. There is another milestone 150$ on project end. I have attached a screenshot. Am i being scammed ?.  Kindly explain to me how will i get paid 111111.PNG

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

It looks like you have already completed the work required to fulfill Milestone 1 and used the "Submit" button to provide it to the client.

The client has 14 days to either release the amount in escrow ($150) to you or request changes.

When he releases that escrow, he needs to fund the second milestone before you begin work on the next part of the project. Don't start further work until he has done so. If you do the work and submit it to him before the second escrow is funded, the client can just take your work, cancel the project and you will have no recourse for ever getting paid the second milestone payment.

If the client instead of releasing payment requires you to make changes to the work you provided under Milestone 1, you have to decide whether his request for changes is reasonable and within the original scope of your agreed work with the client.

If it is, just make those changes and re-send the updated work to the client. This re-starts the 14-day clock and he can again either release payment or request more changes. (As you can imagine, with the wrong kind of client this cycle can continue ad nauseum. Don't let that happen.)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yofazza
Community Member

Only work as much as the funded milestone.

If agreed the entire project costs $300, then you only work half of it and click Submit Work for Payment.

Then wait for the next milestone be funded before proceeding.

Not scam.

yofazza
Community Member

After looking at it again, did you complete the entire work and submit already? If that's the case then you're at the client's mercy 😁 Just ask him for the other $150 politely, and tell us again.

3314778e
Community Member

He has not approved yet. Maybe he will pay the full amount if i am not having a bad day. but i will inform you. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

It looks like you have already completed the work required to fulfill Milestone 1 and used the "Submit" button to provide it to the client.

The client has 14 days to either release the amount in escrow ($150) to you or request changes.

When he releases that escrow, he needs to fund the second milestone before you begin work on the next part of the project. Don't start further work until he has done so. If you do the work and submit it to him before the second escrow is funded, the client can just take your work, cancel the project and you will have no recourse for ever getting paid the second milestone payment.

If the client instead of releasing payment requires you to make changes to the work you provided under Milestone 1, you have to decide whether his request for changes is reasonable and within the original scope of your agreed work with the client.

If it is, just make those changes and re-send the updated work to the client. This re-starts the 14-day clock and he can again either release payment or request more changes. (As you can imagine, with the wrong kind of client this cycle can continue ad nauseum. Don't let that happen.)

3314778e
Community Member

but i finished whole project

That's a common mistake for new freelancers, Ehtisham.

Ask the client to fund escrow for Milestone 2. Don't do any further work for him until he does so.

Don't work on any milestone in the future for any client until the client has funded it. No exceptions. Ever.

Good luck!

Amazing advice! 👨‍🏫

re: "but i finished whole project"

Don't take it personally!

Don't worry about this!

As Will pointed out, LOTS of new freelancers make this mistake.

You can't beat yourself up or think ill of yourself for doing the same thing that so many other freelancers do. You learned from your mistake, and now you can move on.

Yes, Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely follow these. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members