🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud and misuse of new freelancers
Page options
4f9314cd
Community Member

Fraud and misuse of new freelancers

Hello,

I am astonished to see few trends on upwork which makes me loose motivation to work i.e. 

1. A lot many people expect a lot of work from new bees in extremely low prices.

2. Despite of having a lot of quality work experience outside platform, no one reaches out to new freelancers for quality work at genuinely reasonable rates.

3. If a work is assigned, just based on the fact that freelancer is being nice to them because of saving reputation, client misuses the fact and keep on increasing the work at the same fixed price. 

This is a kind of loop that is extremely difficult for new bees with no connection on upwork to cross.

Anybody with such issues and most importantly how were they able get through such challenges?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

1. A lot many people expect a lot of work from new bees in extremely low prices.

Don't take dirt cheap jobs. The clients, who pay horribly, know they will get desperate or unskilled freelancers. Why apply for cheap jobs? Ignore them.

2. Despite of having a lot of quality work experience outside platform, no one reaches out to new freelancers for quality work at genuinely reasonable rates.

It has always taken many proposals to find the first client here, and with the open door policy to anyone, the competition can be fierce. You have to be at the top of your skills if you expect a single real job. The clients can't make you do anything. Your business, your choice.

3. If a work is assigned, just based on the fact that freelancer is being nice to them because of saving reputation, client misuses the fact and keep on increasing the work at the same fixed price. 

All freelancers need to use best practices for self-employment. You are in charge. Your client can't keep adding work, if you set up your contract correctly. I have never had a client try to get more work, here, other platforms or in the physical world. It's up to you to decide if you want to work for nothing, or set up a perfect profile and work on proposals, to attract clients and deter scammers.

This is a kind of loop that is extremely difficult for new bees with no connection on upwork to cross.

We were all new here once, and we didn't have any help. No matter how experienced, when you start looking for jobs in a new place, you have a lot of work to do with establishing your career. The same is true for the physical world.

Anybody with such issues and most importantly how were they able get through such challenges?

To freelance, you have to recognize you are responsible for everything in your business. Freelancing requires marketable skills, money to run the business, including connects, time, patience, motivation, and again, marketable skills. If you don't have one of or more of these factors, you will fail. I'm not being mean; I'm telling you the truth.

When I started, I had stellar reviews from clients, and it didn't make much difference. It was in many ways like starting over. I had to investigate the platform, read all the rules, set up a great profile and write amazing proposals. It still took over 30 proposals before I was hired.

It's one thing to offer a slight discount when you are new or have minimal skills, but accepting dirt cheap jobs hurts you, the other freelancers, and the platform, because clients think they can get good work for pennies. Furthermore, it doesn't matter where you live, your culture or anything else - if you have the skills, charge for them.

Use the link to the Academy at the top of the page. Learn everything you can about the rules, the platform, and how to work without being scammed. No one will protect, you, not even Upwork. You have to protect yourself.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
the-right-writer
Community Member

Don't take dirt cheap jobs. The clients, who pay horribly, know they will get desperate or unskilled freelancers. Why apply for cheap jobs? Ignore them.

It has always taken many proposals to find the first client here, and with the open door policy to anyone, the competition can be fierce. You have to be at the top of your skills if you expect a single real job. The clients can't make you do anything. Your business, your choice.

All freelancers need to use best practices for self-employment. You are in charge. Your client can't keep adding work, if you set up your contract correctly. I have never had a client try to get more work, here, other platforms or in the physical world. It's up to you to decide if you want to work for nothing, or set up a perfect profile and work on proposals, to attract clients and deter scammers.

We were all new here once, and we didn't have any help. No matter how experienced, when you start looking for jobs in a new place, you have a lot of work to do with establishing your career. The same is true for the physical world.

To freelance, you have to recognize you are responsible for everything in your business. Freelancing requires marketable skills, money to run the business, including connects, time, patience, motivation, and again, marketable skills. If you don't have one of or more of these factors, you will fail. I'm not being mean; I'm telling you the truth.

When I started, I had stellar reviews from clients, and it didn't make much difference. It was in many ways like starting over. I had to investigate the platform, read all the rules, set up a great profile and write amazing proposals. It still took over 30 proposals before I was hired.

It's one thing to offer a slight discount when you are new or have minimal skills, but accepting dirt cheap jobs hurts you, the other freelancers, and the platform, because clients think they can get good work for pennies. Furthermore, it doesn't matter where you live, your culture or anything else - if you have the skills, charge for them.

Use the link to the Academy at the top of the page. Learn everything you can about the rules, the platform, and how to work without being scammed. No one will protect, you, not even Upwork. You have to protect yourself.

9e7e3a44
Community Member

It's not uncommon for freelancers, especially those new to platforms like Upwork, to encounter challenges like those you've described. Building a successful freelancing career often requires patience, strategy, and proactive steps to overcome common hurdles. Here are some suggestions to address the issues you've mentioned:

1. Setting Realistic Rates: Don't undervalue your skills. Set realistic rates that reflect your expertise and the value you bring to a project. While it's competitive, it's crucial to avoid pricing yourself too low, as it can be challenging to increase rates later.

2. Build a Strong Profile: Invest time in creating a comprehensive and compelling Upwork profile. Highlight your skills, experience, and showcase a portfolio of your best work. A strong profile can attract clients looking for quality work.

3. Specialize and Niche Down: Consider specializing in a particular niche or industry. Clients often look for freelancers with specific expertise, and having a niche can make you stand out. It may also help you justify higher rates.

4. Apply Strategically: Be selective when applying for jobs. Look for projects that align with your skills and interests. Tailor your proposals to demonstrate how your unique skills can solve the client's problems.

5. Communication and Boundaries: Clearly communicate with clients about project scope, deliverables, and pricing. Set boundaries early on to avoid scope creep. If a client tries to increase work without adjusting the price, politely discuss the need for additional compensation.

6. Portfolio and Testimonials: Continuously update your portfolio with high-quality work, and encourage satisfied clients to leave positive testimonials. Positive reviews and a robust portfolio can enhance your credibility on the platform.

7. Network and Connect: Engage with the Upwork community. Join relevant groups and forums, participate in discussions, and network with other freelancers. Building connections can lead to potential collaborations and job referrals.

8. Professionalism and Confidence: Project confidence in your communication. Clearly articulate your skills, experience, and the value you bring to a project. Professionalism can help you establish a positive reputation on the platform.

9. Upskill and Diversify: Continuously invest in your skills. Upskilling can make you more competitive and open doors to a broader range of projects. Diversifying your skills can also make you more resilient in the freelance market.

10. Be Patient and Persistent: Success on freelancing platforms often takes time. Be patient, stay persistent, and continuously refine your approach based on your experiences.

Remember that building a successful freelancing career is a journey, and each freelancer's path is unique. Learning from challenges and adapting your strategy can lead to long-term success on platforms like Upwork.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members