🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Got banned for using Wayland
Page options
e88e59c5
Community Member

Got banned for using Wayland

I use**Edited for Community Guidelines** in order to make screenshots work on Wayland. Been using it for at least 30h logged time

Then one day I got locked out of messenger and payments. No email, no notification - just a red text telling me to contact support. There I found a ticket, opened a few days ago, telling me that they detected an auto-clicker. After telling them about me using wayland and waiting a few more days they replied with this and unblocked me:

Spoiler
Hi Timofey, 

Thank you for your response.

We are doing these audits because Upwork values your contribution to the platform and we wanted to make sure to hear your side before taking any actions.  You see, the keystrokes that we are seeing are unusual and keyboard or mouse manipulation is against our Terms of Service just as auto-clicking.

Although we make an exception for freelancers using it legitimately to keep their work diary active if they are being asked to be online for a set number of hours or use it to automate a heavily manual process, all use of auto-clicker must be approved by your client.  Since we wanted you to avoid any TOS violations, I would suggest for you obtain permission from your client to use this software OR have them allow you to add the hours under manual time instead.

We are glad that you agree to comply with our Terms of Service (TOS). Please be advised that as of today there will be no action taken against your account, but if there are other concerns or TOS violations moving forward, your account may be permanently deactivated.

We are just one message away if you need help with something else.

I feel humiliated, to me it is a "**bleep** you" smered across several paragraps. I want:

• Wayland support in their app (btw still broken now, but thread marked as solved) or assurance that they won't punish me for trying to make it work
  • Notification before they decide to pull one of these audits off
  • A way to contact clients when undergoing these procedures
3 REPLIES 3
b_yahiaoui
Community Member

Wow thanks for sharing your experience!

So the library allows the Upwork  logger to work on Linux based OS? I didn't understand what it does.

What I understood is that Linux uses Wayland to display items and the Uwprok tracker is broken on Linux so you used the project you linked on github to workaround the broken tracker.

Yep. It's kind of like Gnome Screenshot DBUS server, but in rust and not a part of Gnome.

In a Wayland session, direct access to the screen is restricted for security reasons. The DBUS Server acts as an intermediary that allows applications, like the Upwork tracker, to request permission to capture screenshots.

stackjump
Community Member

That's really sad that Upwork decides not to support a modern system, then smart developers figure out how to FIX THE APPLICATION for Upwork, costing them nothing, and then they go and BAN them for fixing it!!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members