🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Graphic Designers how to send client proofs a...
Page options
56b9b9f5
Community Member

Graphic Designers how to send client proofs and how do you share files needed for a job?

Hello Everyone,

I'm relatively new here and wanted to share my recent experience as well as seek some advice from fellow graphic designers on Upwork.

Unfortunately, my first client was fraudulent as they used a fraudulent credit card for verification. It was a tough lesson, but I'm determined to move forward and find genuine clients.

I have been a graphic designer for many years and have always provided PDF proofs to my clients so they can track the progress of their projects. However, I've realized that PDF proofs can easily be printed, raising concerns about the security of my work. So, I'm curious to know how other graphic designers on Upwork handle this issue. Do you mark your PDF proofs with prominent watermarks to protect your work while still showing progress?

Additionally, I'd like to learn about the best practices for clients to share essential materials like logos, photographs, and other supporting content. Do you rely on the Upwork messaging feature to have clients submit content piece by piece, or is it acceptable to set up a platform like Dropbox or a similar file-sharing service for exchanging files securely?

While my initial experience on Upwork had its challenges, I see it as a valuable learning opportunity, especially since it was a small project. As I navigate this platform, your insights and advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Heya! 
Brand Designer here. There are two types of scenarios that you might want to consider. First, it's when you're working on fixed-price contract and second is for the hourly. 

Fixed-price: In this scenario a client is paying for deliverables at each milestone. The client has all rights to the deliverable you're providing. I set up small progress milestones to make sure I am paid for the job done. The moment you share the deliverable for each milestone the client owns it and can do whatever they want with it, so plan for that. But the client only owns the deliverables. Everything you make in the process, random logo options, patterns, graphics is still yours.

For example, I can set up a first milestone to be a moodboard/research. Second milestone would be first drafts for the logo and identity direction presented over the call and shared as a lower quality png or jpg. Or I just share a link to Figma, where I prepared a presentation. Third milestone - an updated version after the first round of feedback. And so on.

Everything is set up to make sure the client can not use the "drafts" freely. The last milestone would be "Final files delivery" where you can definitely use Upwork messages to share that with the client or set up a Dropbox/Drive for them. Personally, I prefer setting up a Drive folder, so the client has access to this at any time even after the contract has ended. I store files for the client for up to 5 years.

Hourly contracts: Everything you make is owned by the client. They pay you for your hours and not for particular deliverables. I love this scenario, because, more often than not, clients change the directions for the deliverables, add new things to be developed, have "urgent" requests, etc. In this scenario you don't need to worry about setting up a new milestone for each of the changes and you simply do your work, if you have availability/want/can. Here you agree with the client on final deliverables and work towards those goals, but you're more flexible in between. But if a client requests all of the drafts that were prepared during those hours, you would need to share it and they can do what they please with them (like in your normal office work, everything is owned by the company you're working for). 

Don't know if it helped, but happy to answer additional questions if you have any. Maybe other designers are willing to share their methods of working too. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Heya! 
Brand Designer here. There are two types of scenarios that you might want to consider. First, it's when you're working on fixed-price contract and second is for the hourly. 

Fixed-price: In this scenario a client is paying for deliverables at each milestone. The client has all rights to the deliverable you're providing. I set up small progress milestones to make sure I am paid for the job done. The moment you share the deliverable for each milestone the client owns it and can do whatever they want with it, so plan for that. But the client only owns the deliverables. Everything you make in the process, random logo options, patterns, graphics is still yours.

For example, I can set up a first milestone to be a moodboard/research. Second milestone would be first drafts for the logo and identity direction presented over the call and shared as a lower quality png or jpg. Or I just share a link to Figma, where I prepared a presentation. Third milestone - an updated version after the first round of feedback. And so on.

Everything is set up to make sure the client can not use the "drafts" freely. The last milestone would be "Final files delivery" where you can definitely use Upwork messages to share that with the client or set up a Dropbox/Drive for them. Personally, I prefer setting up a Drive folder, so the client has access to this at any time even after the contract has ended. I store files for the client for up to 5 years.

Hourly contracts: Everything you make is owned by the client. They pay you for your hours and not for particular deliverables. I love this scenario, because, more often than not, clients change the directions for the deliverables, add new things to be developed, have "urgent" requests, etc. In this scenario you don't need to worry about setting up a new milestone for each of the changes and you simply do your work, if you have availability/want/can. Here you agree with the client on final deliverables and work towards those goals, but you're more flexible in between. But if a client requests all of the drafts that were prepared during those hours, you would need to share it and they can do what they please with them (like in your normal office work, everything is owned by the company you're working for). 

Don't know if it helped, but happy to answer additional questions if you have any. Maybe other designers are willing to share their methods of working too. 

nycjoseph
Community Member

TL;DR: Poison Pill

L;R:

Pre-upwork, and in a previous incarnation as a graphic designer 30 years ago (Motorola Mac and Photoshop 2 era), I did a business card as my first freelance job. The guy was shady and promised lots of stuff, but it was going to pay $50. I didn't trust him, but I wanted the work. So, I made the card fully as per agreed sketches, BUT with an incorrect phone # and physical address. When I emailed it to him for review (yes, we had email back then), he immediately called me, yelling from the start that I was cheating him and I'd better send over the card with the right info. To be clear, he hadn't paid me anything yet, and I was just asking him to review it. I knew then he was truly a big bad bully. "Fortunately", I had his Syquest (an old school cartridge harddrive), and I told him I'd update the design, put it on the Syquest and exchange it for the $50. He yelled more stuff, hung-up, never got the final version, or in touch again, and basically I ended up with the Syquest as compensation for my time.

I don't do this in my jobs anymore - I don't take jobs that feel funky - but starting out in a space you might feel vulnerable. In this case I recommend doing the real work, but add security (though on your own dime/time).

Best of luck moving forward!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members