🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Has anyone else been contacted to collect mon...
Page options
michelle_st-cyr
Community Member

Has anyone else been contacted to collect money for a Japanese company? It seems to be fraudulent.

Has anyone else been contacted by**edited for Community Guidelines**, for doing work for **edited for Community Guidelines**, here in North America?   It seems to be a fraud situation.   Are there any other known fraudulent companies pretending to seek work here?

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Michelle S wrote:

Has anyone else been contacted by **edited for Community Guidelines**, for doing work for **edited for Community Guidelines**, here in North America?   It seems to be a fraud situation.   Are there any other known fraudulent companies pretending to seek work here?

Yes, there are a few scam jobs posted every day. The scammers will take the name of a legitimate company - whatever company they're claiming to represent has nothing to do with it - and they'll use different names every time (BTW, it's against the forum rules to post names and company names, one reason being that you're probably falsely accusing an innocent person). If you're interviewed by someone who offers to send you a cheque to buy equipment, just flag the job as inappropriate and Upwork will take it down and refund your connects.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michelle, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I had to edit your post since, and as shared by Christine, it violates our Community Guidelines. You may refer to the link for more information about the guidelines, but "Including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing" is not allowed in the Community. 

Since you are new, 
I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I will go ahead and check on the client you referred to on your post and will forward it to the team for their further review and action. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members