🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help! Seeking Advice on Dealing with (Persist...
Page options
rihab_write
Community Member

Help! Seeking Advice on Dealing with (Persistent) Client

Hey fellow freelancers and upwork gurus,

I hope this post finds you all well. I'm writing on here because this is my last cry for help. I need some guidance on a challenging situation I've been facing with a long-term client. Over the past few years, I've encountered persistent issues with a client who, unfortunately, has been quite demanding and sometimes even unreasonable.

This client has consistently requested extensive edits (I have done edits for more than 20 rounds at times in a single design).Afterward, I suggest she find someone else to do it and extend a hand to refund her, at times, to locate another freelancer who aligns with her vision.

Recently, she's been asking for excessive revisions and tasks after our contract was ended more than 2 months ago. For instance, I created a paw design for her book cover, and she repeatedly asked for changes, including different colors for the nails and paw pads and different formats and strange edits. After accommodating these requests and providing various file formats, she continued to seek outside opinions and relayed messages through email, insisting on immediate responses—even at 3 am!

When I've requested fair compensation for additional work, she would label me as greedy or ungrateful, asking me to be kind. Despite maintaining professionalism and composure throughout our collaboration, the situation has become untenable.

I recently made the decision to block her on Upwork since we no longer have an active contract, only to be surprised when she instantly reached out to Upwork  Help, requesting contact and work files through email, disregarding our concluded contract. The email from Upwork mentioned that sending work files outside the platform would not violate terms of service due to our past contract. This has become a genuine nightmare, and I'm seeking advice on how to prevent her from contacting me through Upwork or any other way as this has caused me a huge deal of unnecessary stress, anxiety and has been detering me from working peacefully on my other active jobs.

Has anyone faced a similar situation, and how did you manage it?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide.

Thank you all for your support!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

Ignore.

All contract closed, you owe nothing anymore.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

Ignore.

All contract closed, you owe nothing anymore.

Thank you for your reply Mykola. I tried ignoring but I am afraid it would cause me problems with Upwork. 

I have never ever had a client like this before, it feels personal? 

Why do you believe it would cause a problem with Upwork if you set boundaries with an abusive client?

Makes no sense.  

So, Upwork support says it's best to get back in touch with the client. Weird, I know. I made it clear to the support team messaging me that I wanted nothing to do with the client. Hope I don't get anymore messages!

Makes me wonder if the Upwork support message you received came from one of their AI chatbots. Block the client to prevent them from messaging you anymore. Their behavior is abusive and you don't have to tolerate it. 

not trying to be harsh, well, I doubt that people in business care about personal feelings, etc.  Simply move on. Finish the work, do revision if needed, communicate/say goodbye, block everything if they disturb your personal life, that's it. I wonder too if it's bots who asked you to do this and that. We all know we cannot always trust bots... 

shanementor
Community Member

Sounds like a total nightmare ☹️, I agree with the other commenter it's been months since the contract was closed and you owe them nothing. I would have blocked them as well. They mention not to be greedy to you, I would say they are the ones being very greedy from reading your thread. On another platform for ESL teaching, I once worked for very low rates, Once I decided to triple my rates for new students, I did realize something! The ones paying the higher rates never complained and were the easiest clients to work for. Not sure if that was your situation but I now weed out low offers because I know it may or could become a hassle that I don't want anymore. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members