🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How often do new clients with verified paymen...
Page options
fd1a3637
Community Member

How often do new clients with verified payment methods end up being scammers?

I'm trying to navigate a situation where a client who otherwise seemed legit stopped responding to me after the contract was suspended, and apparently isn't talking with upwork either.

This would be the first time he was billed for hours, and for whatever reason, his payment failed. I have had a lot of communication with him, but it was generally when he was making requests. I get the feeling that he doesn't have the mobile app like a freelancer would and is not getting push notifications (which is completely understandable for a client).  

I have delivered a fully working app by this point, although he has expressed interest in adding more features. Last we talked, no additional work was asked of me explicitly. Basically, I'm just waiting to get paid for 20hrs of work.

I'm just wondering, should I just wait and see what happens, or should I close the contract and pursue payment protection? The last thing I want to do is anger a client that might have just had something come up. I know clients can go quiet for a variety of reasons. It's been about 5 days since I spoke with him and the contract was suspended 4 days ago. If it was a scam, nothing about it seemed calculated.

Have any other freelancers experienced something like this? What should I do?

19 REPLIES 19
williamtcooper
Community Member

Garrett,

Why was the Contract suspended - bad credit card?

Well, Upwork wont tell me specifically, but it was suspended thursday evening (USA time), which generally means it was a payment issue, at least from the research I've done. This is when they charge the clients.

Also, wow you are absolutely killing it on here. Great job.

Thanks!

I usually Upwork message clients and point them to their credit card and to call their bank. So far everyone has always complied and the issue was resolved.

Well, I just got a message from upwork saying that the client's payment failed and that they were refunding 1 of my hours for "low activity". While I'm annoyed about this given the fact that software development means reading documentation, waiting for builds, wating for tests to complete, etc, I take this to mean My other 19 hours are covered, which I guess is something. 

yofazza
Community Member

How often do new clients with verified payment methods end up being scammers?

It's probably just me but right now I see most new clients with verified payment as the blatant-scammer ones, criminals with the intention of running scamming schemes from the start. They will persistently return with new accounts and credit cards when found.

But in your case (if it's the job in your 'in progress' tab), it's probably 'normal client who changed their mind, or, has temporary problem with their card'. In any case you should still get the payment from Upwork's payment protection if you follow the rules. Just don't give up.

fd1a3637
Community Member

Yeah, it's that "job in progress". I guess I was just wondering if I should end the contract myself or just wait and see what happens. Maybe "scam" isn't the right word. More like someone who just wanted to get work done for free, possibly knowing that upwork would most likely pay his bill for him.

8aea7a2a
Community Member

I'm wondering that myself also. First I was requested by one to move off upwork. I didn't. 

Now I've submitted an intro video to a different one as they requested it. That was last week. I have messaged which they said they would get back to me following day, they haven't. They don't appear to be a scam as they've paid out before, hired and great reviews. I'm new to upwork so I'm really unsure but I would imagine there would be alot of scammers as there are anywhere else.

That's good that you didn't move off of upwork. As far as the second person goes, they probably aren't scamming you. Worst case, they decided not to use you and didn't have the courtesy to let you know. Best case, something came up and they'll message you back soon.

Thanks Garrett, yes I here to offer a legitimate service and staying on upwork benefits both service provider and ones seeking a service. 

Yes this is true too. I'm just uneasy with the fact I did an intro video. I guess. 

I'm also getting asked alot to provide something good free first and I'm really beginning to think of starting decline as the way I see it is they don't have to pay or continue if a person or service isn't for them.

It is quite difficult already to find legit clients.

Ursula G wrote:

I'm also getting asked alot to provide something good free first and I'm really beginning to think of starting decline as the way I see it is they don't have to pay or continue if a person or service isn't for them.

It's against the terms of service for clients to request free work; you should use the "flag as inappropriate" link to report these people.

Thanks Christine

This might be completely impossible with your niche, but if there is any way to build some sample work, whether that's a video, or something else, you can point the clients to these samples. This should be more than enough to prove that you are qualified for the job. If they are asking for very specialized custom samples, then you need to be paid for them.

Thanks Garrett that's very helpful! yes that is difficult. It's defintely something I can work on and thanks for the advice!

e178b279
Community Member

Hi I too got scammed. I worked for 2 days, delivered the job and they all want money to open accounts and link accounts. I think its my fault cos I arranged with him on telegram. Outside the upwork portal.

Oh no Charmaine that's terrible but look it's a learning curve I guess. 

celgins
Community Member

The card being suspended is a concern, but it could be a temporarty problem with the card.

If your client is also U.S.-based, this past weekend was a holiday weekend, and a lot of people disappear during those 3-day weekends. Maybe he was out-of-the-loop for a few days and also attempting to update his payment method.

I would wait a few more days.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Just don't do any more work until Upwork tells you it's OK to work on this project again. Move on to finding and working on other projects - there's no telling what the problem is, but if you used TimeTracker properly and don't do any more work while the project is suspended Upwork's hourly payment protection should cover you.

You don't have to and shouldn't try to "pursue" payment protection; it's automatic on properly-documented hourly projects. Upwork won't increase or decrease the amount of its payment protection for you based on anything other than its own rules and analysis of your use of TimeTracker.

If the project remains suspended for a month and you hear nothing from the client, close the project, leaving factual feedback for the client if Upwork allows you to. Too many clients just disappear without explanation; it's just part of the Upwork freelancing experience.

Good luck!

Yeah I know that much. The project was effectively finished at this point, which created a good opportunity him to cut and run.

debi-f
Community Member
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members