🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to fill W-8BEN form?
Page options
bhuttaamna
Community Member

How to fill W-8BEN form?

Hi. I want to know about this form. It has asked me about tax residence, what should I wirte in it?

8 REPLIES 8
ArjayM

Hi Amna,

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

We highly suggest you check this help article for more information and instructions on how to fill out the form.

~ Arjay
Upwork

So, I don't have any tax identification number because according to my bank i am a non-filer, so where should i find one?

Moreover i live on rent so what should i add in tax residence space?

Hi Amna,

This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. Some countries may use a National ID number. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

~Andrea
Upwork
bhuttaamna
Community Member

I have no idea about this that what is it , who can fill it what will happen after filling it, kindly can someone guide me and is it okay to fill this form because I have never filled any tax form before  and I don't even earn a lot through upwork except of few which I use as a pocket monei

bobafett999
Community Member

There are many freelancers from Lahore.  You can ask them or ask a person who does taxes in your country.

f748f4c8
Community Member

I'm not a US citizen

Hi Dorcas,

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

To complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings. 

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members