🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to identify Fake / Unreasonable Clients
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

How to identify Fake / Unreasonable Clients

Good day to all freelancers,

This post is specially for Graphic Designers, and the trick I use to identify Fake or Unreasonable clients, really helps me to stay safe with my JSS, while taking baby steps on this platform as a newbie.

I am newbie to Upwork, but have great versatile expertise in Design & Branding for many years and have dealt with many clients, hence I have some skills to identify the client at initial stage [before starting the contract].

I started using this trick when one unreasonable client dented my JSS for no reason by ending the contract without communication and never replied back even when online. [ I also identified this client in the intitial stage, and texted in the chat that 'I am taking risk', but since new to platform, I took the risk  and I am 100% responsible for my action as I took that project consciously, just to increase my ranking [ but eventually it had dent]

I also want to mention here that, the Platform is great, no question about it, but like in real life we meet different clients with different demands, similary we may come across such clients here as well, but then it is our responsibility to take precautions as a freelancer.

Few behaviour patterns these clients generally have and they use few lines while interviewing:-

PATTERN 1. Will you do the job and I will pay, only if I like it.

They are hiring you after checking all the proposals they got, after having check some of your previous feedback, and after checking your portfolio as well, hence they know what they are going to get, then from where this question comes? Be aware fro such client who cant value our skills and time you are going to invest in the project. The real clients dont put such words, as on this platform they are selecting/ picking the candidate after many proposals and they are not bound or forced to do so, they are doing it concsiously, then they must be responsible for the action.

SOLUTION:  we divide the project in 2 or 3 milestones,

Part 1 : sketching of ideas & Color Scheme [ do it only if you are good at sketching, or else you may loose the project at 1st milestone]

Part 2 : Fine Tuning of the Sketch and giving it life so that i can be use on cross platforms like web, print etc.

Part 3 : Delivery of Files

Divide the cost according to yourself in three parts [you may also club part 2 & 3 in single milesotne], I cannot answere what percentage of total amount in which part you should keep, you have to decide accordingly.

PATTERN 2 : Check the Job Posting, they might be interviewing almost all the proposals, and asking for ideas, that means, they are here to get some fresh ideas from 10-15 freelnacers and then get it design from someone at minimal cost, by saying we have the idea, you please do the software job and send me files.

In our industry, creating an idea from the scrach and sketching it on ipad/paper is the main thing, [that includes research, brain storming, vaious compositions trials, color codes, font selection etc.] and the rest part [on design sofware & files] can be done by any junior or school guy designer at iminimal cost.

Solution: Tell them they can hire you at as minimum as 5 or 10$ per hour and you will share the pencil sketch within 2-3 hours [ but then you must be ready for the same], that will not cost them more than 15-20$, and real clients can take such risks, beacuse you are also putting efforts. This will allow them to know your skills and abilities at minimum cost and not lossing bigger amout. If they are real they will, as unreal clinets are only here to get ideas from 15 different freelancers and can exit anytime by not paying a single penny to any freelancer for thier time & efforts.

Do no share color combinations, till the pencil sketch have some go ahead.

Pattern 3 : This is the tricky part, They may say, they dont belive the porfolio you shared is yours, so they want you to sketch or make final designs, and they will pay only they feel it.

Solution : I tell them I can show them all the raw files and sketches done for such projects, also they can hire me at hourly project, and if required I am happy to share my 'design screen' live with you, so that you can see my screen working live on your project. and still if they say no, immediately sense the client is looking for something but not real talent who is as tranparent to show live working.

These are few patters I have noticed so far, I might be wrong as I am seeing all this behaviour patterns of clients as a Designers' perspective, I cannot commnet from clients' side, but after that incident this really helps me to save my JSS.

I am not sure how you will adapt it or not, how it will be benficial for you or not, but it is working fine for me so far.

The client must know, freelancers dont work for 'FREE', they have bills to pay

Thanks & have a happy and safe journey at Upwork! Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If I ever stumble across a client who says any of the three things mentioned above, I don't try to reason with them - I simply walk away. They're already being difficult, so I'd rather not risk working with them.

I don't do paid "tests" either, because clients aren't good prospects if they assume that design work is so easy that it's possible to come up with a decent concept after a few minutes of work.

true that, but that is just to check the mindset of the client. especially for new joinees who have less experience in client handling but eager to start something than nothing.

gurjeet k wrote:

true that, but that is just to check the mindset of the client. especially for new joinees who have less experience in client handling but eager to start something than nothing.

You're way too kind; I guess I'm more cynical after being on this platform for so long. Even if it's a new client and they say something like, "I'll only pay if I like it" or "How do I know your portfolio isn't fake?" I'd still run a mile. But, you should do what works for you. 🙂

Yes Christine, you got it correct, being kind with people is just makes me complete.

But today I learnt from you, and I shall go for better quotations now, while keeping in mind this is am international market.

Also I noticed ( based on my personal experience ) despite of good portfolio or X number of experience, clients tend to go with low quoted designers, especially when designers have less projects or feedbacks in the profile, but I guess after having few feedbacks, or having Top Rated Badge really makes difference for all.

Sincerely working and waiting for my Top Rated Badge 🙂

I am grateful to this community who keeps providing solutions and insights to people everytime they put any question, and I guess that makes us a great community.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members