🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to turn down a job politely after getting...
Page options
9303383c
Community Member

How to turn down a job politely after getting more information

I bid for a small task that had very little information. The client got back to me with more information about the task and I was not comfortable with carrying out the task (nothing crazy, just not something I felt I wanted to take part in).

Should I respond and decline or not respond at all?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Alice,

I think you should respond and decline politely. It is better to communicate your decision than to leave the client hanging. You can explain that you are not comfortable with the task and thank them for their interest in your work. You don't have to go into details or apologize, just be honest and respectful.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PradeepH

Hi Alice,

I think you should respond and decline politely. It is better to communicate your decision than to leave the client hanging. You can explain that you are not comfortable with the task and thank them for their interest in your work. You don't have to go into details or apologize, just be honest and respectful.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

The next example that your system shows is nonsense. You cannot ask about the job before applying for a job. And in case of cancellation, the customer may leave a bad review.

Hi Krzysztof, 

I want to clarify the information you shared to avoid confusing any public readers of the Upwork Community. Clients and freelancers can only leave a review if there is a contract. If there's no contract, both parties cannot leave public feedback for each other. 
However if a contract is created and no money exchanges hands (no payment was made), they'll only be able to leave private feedback. If the client leaves negative private feedback, that's the only time the freelancer's Job Success Score is affected. 

~ Avery
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Avery.

You are saying clients and freelancers can leave private feedback for each other even if there has never been an Upwork contract between them?

This is news to me. What interactions can a freelancer and potential client have with one another that allows them to leave private feedback - a key element for the freelancer's JSS - for one another: Zoom call, proposal submitted, etc."

Thanks in advance. 

Will

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Will, 

I was editing my response earlier, but I didn't notice that I edited out this vital part of my response - "However if a contract is created and no money exchanges hands (no payment was made)..." I made sure to add it to reflect the correct information. 

Thank you for flagging it! 😊

~ Avery
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Thanks for the clarification, Avery.

I think new freelancers should understand that no matter what a potential client claims they'll do in terms of feedback, neither freelancers nor clients can leave public or private feedback on Upwork if they have never had an Upwork contract with one another.

Thank you Pradeep.

I have done just that.

Thank you sir Pradeep for your comment to Ms. Alice Concerns... 

This advice will be a great help to all of us newbies at Upwork who are still learning how to interact and properly communicate with clients.  

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members