🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hypothetical question...
Page options
roberty1y
Community Member

Hypothetical question...

Suppose I get bad private feedback on a job that constituted around seven percent of my earnings during the last year, how much would that affect my JSS? Also, when would the negative effect be visible in my percentage score for a contract that closed today? 

I don't know yet whether the feedback is negative, but I'm worried because I have only small earnings so far and have only completed contracts for six clients. Also, would closing as many existing contracts as possible (to boost my earnings) lessen the effect of bad feedback?

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

Suppose I get bad private feedback on a job that constituted around seven percent of my earnings during the last year, how much would that affect my JSS? Also, when would the negative effect be visible in my percentage score for a contract that closed today? 

I don't know yet whether the feedback is negative, but I'm worried because I have only small earnings so far and have only completed contracts for six clients. Also, would closing as many existing contracts as possible (to boost my earnings) lessen the effect of bad feedback?

More good feedback on ended contracts will help, but clearly the less contracts you have, the more impact a single one has. 

petra_r
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

Suppose I get bad private feedback on a job that constituted around seven percent of my earnings during the last year, how much would that affect my JSS?

It's not so much the earnings (which matter to a degree) but more the number of contracts.  1 in 6 is significant.  

Robert Y wrote:

Also, when would the negative effect be visible in my percentage score for a contract that closed today? 

Likely tomorrow when the JSS is recalculated.

Robert Y wrote:

Also, would closing as many existing contracts as possible (to boost my earnings) lessen the effect of bad feedback?

What do you mean by boosting your earnings? You need successfully completed contracts (with super feedback) rather than earnings.

That would dilute the effect of the poor feedback (**IF** you even got bad feedback)

Think about it this way: 1 in five is 20%, 1 in ten is only 10%...

Not sure you have time before the update though. What is your JSS now?

What makes you think the client may have left poor private feedback?

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

Suppose I get bad private feedback on a job that constituted around seven percent of my earnings during the last year, how much would that affect my JSS?

It's not so much the earnings (which matter to a degree) but more the number of contracts.  1 in 6 is significant.  

Robert Y wrote:

Also, when would the negative effect be visible in my percentage score for a contract that closed today? 

Likely tomorrow when the JSS is recalculated.

Robert Y wrote:

Also, would closing as many existing contracts as possible (to boost my earnings) lessen the effect of bad feedback?

What do you mean by boosting your earnings? You need successfully completed contracts (with super feedback) rather than earnings.

That would dilute the effect of the poor feedback (**IF** you even got bad feedback)

Think about it this way: 1 in five is 20%, 1 in ten is only 10%...

Not sure you have time before the update though. What is your JSS now?

What makes you think the client may have left poor private feedback?

Thank you for your reply.

I mentioned boosting earnings because I understood that the effect of feedback is determined partly by the size of the fee for the job.

I didn't realize the feedback would take effect so soon, so I don't really have the option of closing any contracts (except maybe one) before tomorrow. 

The client expressed dissatisfaction with the way things were going a week ago, but I did my best to straighten things out and finish the job to their satisfaction. 

I was all set to close the contract myself, hoping the client wouldn't bother leaving any feedback, but then I logged on and saw it had been closed. 

Anyway, you think I'll know tomorrow if it's affected my JSS? The contract was closed in the last hour.

Robert Y wrote:

Anyway, you think I'll know tomorrow if it's affected my JSS? The contract was closed in the last hour.

Probably. By evening UTC. 
What's the client's public feedback like and what is your current JSS?

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

My current JSS is 100 percent. The public feedback is five stars and a good review, but I've seen lots of bewildered freelancers here wondering how their JSS dropped when they have nothing but glowing public reviews.

Robert Y wrote:

My current JSS is 100 percent. The public feedback is five stars and a good review.

Just relax and see what happens tomorrow (don't even bother to look until evening UTC.

Do report back 🙂

Robert Y wrote:
 I've seen lots of bewildered freelancers here wondering how their JSS dropped when they have nothing but glowing public reviews.

Most of them know (or should know if they are awake) perfectly well what did it. I have never had mine drop without knowing why and which contract did it. If yours drops you'll know which contract did it, won't you?

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

My current JSS is 100 percent. The public feedback is five stars and a good review.

Just relax and see what happens tomorrow (don't even bother to look until evening UTC.

Do report back 🙂

Robert Y wrote:
 I've seen lots of bewildered freelancers here wondering how their JSS dropped when they have nothing but glowing public reviews.

Most of them know (or should know if they are awake) perfectly well what did it. I have never had mine drop without knowing why and which contract did it. If yours drops you'll know which contract did it, won't you?

Yes, I'll just wait and see, but I'm a worrier by nature. I'm glad it's only 24 hours - I thought it would be two weeks. I'll report back tomorrow evening.

I do know which client it would be, there's only one who had any problem with what I was doing. 

roberty1y
Community Member

Well, I guess my JSS would have dropped by now if the client had given me bad private feedback, but it's still at 100. This really had me worried. It's not too bad for someone who has a hundred good jobs to balance it out, but when you're just getting started one bad outcome can really screw things up. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members