🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have been scammed out my life savings by a ...
Page options
446bba6d
Community Member

I have been scammed out my life savings by a freelancer :(

It is with a heavy heart that I am reaching out, as I find myself out of options and uncertain about where to turn. Unfortunately, contacting UPWORK directly is not possible, as they do not provide a contact number.

Allow me to provide some context:

Several months ago, I hired an individual from the Philippines on Upwork to conduct crypto-based tasks, such as transactions with various websites to test the infrastructure. Given the sensitive nature of crypto work, it's crucial not to disclose one's seed phrase, as it essentially represents the entire wallet.

The tasks assigned were demo crypto work, involving minimal funds. The freelancer had access to my PC through Remote Desktop (RDP). I terminated the contract months ago due to his unreliable work and my transition from test work to real funds, making it imperative to trust those handling the transactions. To reiterate, he had access to my PC during sessions when I provided TeamViewer passwords. The websites and wallets, including MetaMask, were open, granting access only to demo test funds, not the seed phrase. At most, he could transfer the minimal funds from the wallets to his personal wallet.

On 04/12/2023, while utilizing my wallets with real funds, I discovered a substantial transfer of actual crypto funds from my wallet to Binance. I am uncertain how he obtained the seed phrases but suspect my carelessness, such as leaving Google Docs open, allowed him to copy sensitive information, waiting until real funds were deposited.

He has stolen my crypto funds, leaving me in ruins.

Confirmation that it's him:

1. He is the sole individual with access to my PC and, consequently, my seed phrases, which I, regrettably, was too careless in protecting.
  2. Upon confrontation, he promptly blocked me and closed his Upwork account.
  3. Binance, where the funds were transferred, hinted that it is indeed in his name.

He later unblocked me, claiming his Binance account was hacked, expecting me to believe the same person who stole my funds coincidentally deposited them into his Binance account.

I urgently seek guidance on what steps to take and how to contact Upwork. This is an immensely serious matter, and I implore Upwork's assistance in collaborating with law enforcement to track down this individual and recover my funds.

Sincerely,

5 REPLIES 5
aprovado
Community Member

>> I hired an individual from the Philippines . . .

Given the level of fakery quite likely wrapped up in this post - deleted profile and all that - I'll take this as an opportunity to express what might be inappropriate under actual circumstances of real loss.

If you're hellbent on going cheap, then - spare the tears when it all goes very expensive in the end.

The fancy Latin phrase is  'Caveat emptor' . . . i.e. Let the buyer beware.

Little empathy for those who - with great willingness - persist in flunking the basic Upwork IQ Test(s).

Sympathy is not what this post wants but real tangible solutions thanks 

yofazza
Community Member

Why did you quote Philippines?

Why did you assume it's fake? Clients don't delete profiles, they don't have one (you should know this).

And also, why do you think the job was cheap? Although why can't it be cheap, if they are simple tasks, and done in places where the cost of living is low? 

Location does not necessarily matter. They are faked, accounts are sold in "marketplaces". See here and here it's quite new.

There's a thread here where programmers got their wallet emptied simply after they're tricked to run a Node app. So it's not about IQ test, but about cautions and experience. Something obvious to you, might not be so obvious to others, and it works the other way around as well. Don't be too confident.

@Zeb It's complex and I'm sorry it happened to you. It doesn't have to be the Google docs. Some passphrase locations are known, so if someone have access to your computer (including by tricking you into running some bad files), they can get it.

dataextract
Community Member

You have to file a complaint with your local law authorities. Provide them all the details with you and they will assist you further. 

If they are in the US, no...talking to local law enforcement will do nothing, nor will reporting this situation to the FBI.   

In this type of scenario, if the OP wants to stand a chance of getting their money back, they would need to become proficient, or find someone proficient in digitally tracking, and identifying the perpetrator, unearthing personal, business an social associations, and the laws of the country where the perp lives.   Once they have climbed that mountain, they more than likely need to be able to use the information to essentially scare the perp into returning their money.  
It's not crazy and can be done... rarely.  I am not in the investigation industry, but am quite experienced with the technologies required.   I have helped a client (not an upwork client) avoid being blackmailed by foriegn blackmail artist.....after sitting in on a meeting between the client and the FBI where the FBI said..."sorry nothing we can do".
Just to be clear.... I do not want to take this on, but maybe the OP could use the advice. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members