🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have created a profile on up work as a free...
Page options
45fa2072
Community Member

I have created a profile on up work as a freelancer

I have created a profile on Upwork as a freelancer, using my connects to grab a project but there are no replies from the clients. I have expertise in Social Media Marketing.

I am working in the same field for the last 2 years and done lots of local projects. Please guide me on how to grab the ongoing projects and how to showcase my skills and expertise to the clients. 

I never copy-paste anything whenever there's a new project which I am trying to get. I always write a fresh proposal on it by keeping in mind what the client needs. Till now I have actually wasted a lot of connects but still didn't getting any interviews or projects, and this is the reason why I am so confused about how to get the projects.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ayyub K.,

You won't know whether working as a freelancer on Upwork is worthwhile until you submit at least 100 proposals, maybe more.

Use all of the resources Upwork provides (online workshops, etc.) to learn what works for other freelancers, but keep in mind that winning proposals is a function of your cover letter, your work samples, your pricing and other variables, so it will take you a while to figure out what works best for you in terms of winning proposals on projects that provide the income you require.

Your pricing is the easiest thing to test. If you've done the same work in the real world that you are looking to do for Upwork clients, you have some idea what appropriate pricing for your work would be. So test pricing on 20 proposals that is, say, 20% below that level to see if your win rate improves.

If it does, you can then test 10% below that level on the next 20 proposals you submit. If it doesn't, try 30% below that level (unless that is a pay rate that is definitely unacceptable to you).

As you gain a reputation on Upwork for good work you can likely increase your pay rate requirements, so do everything reasonably necessary to make sure your earliest clients are very happy with your work. 

I have been on Upwork for many years and still change my proposed pricing from time to time based on how busy I am with other projects, the skills, expertise and experience a new project will require, etc.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kam_andru
Community Member

Hi Ayyub,

Don't lose hope, I have been on this platform for months, and yet I only have 4 jobs contracted, while 100+ jobs completed outside the Upwork platform from previous clients, the only way I found is to try to get as many good results for works and get a lot of great reviews, even if the growth is slow, it will take us to top-rated list one day, that's where I'm looking for.

I hope it is helping.

Thank you for kind information.

68a23342
Community Member

I just saw your profile and realized you had some jobs so the first job is out. 😄 I would advise you to lower the price when you are applying for jobs and experiment a bit. I remember having to buy some additional connects so I could keep applying. Of course, the job you apply for should be relevant to your skills on your profile. As I said before, experiment, and even though you don't copy/paste your cover letters could seem the same, more or less so you can try some different strategies on those as well. Your cover letter is your sales pitch so you can watch some tutorials on that as well. What I would change on your profile is your description. The first thing should be what you can do for your client and then more about you.  I hope this helps!  

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ayyub K.,

You won't know whether working as a freelancer on Upwork is worthwhile until you submit at least 100 proposals, maybe more.

Use all of the resources Upwork provides (online workshops, etc.) to learn what works for other freelancers, but keep in mind that winning proposals is a function of your cover letter, your work samples, your pricing and other variables, so it will take you a while to figure out what works best for you in terms of winning proposals on projects that provide the income you require.

Your pricing is the easiest thing to test. If you've done the same work in the real world that you are looking to do for Upwork clients, you have some idea what appropriate pricing for your work would be. So test pricing on 20 proposals that is, say, 20% below that level to see if your win rate improves.

If it does, you can then test 10% below that level on the next 20 proposals you submit. If it doesn't, try 30% below that level (unless that is a pay rate that is definitely unacceptable to you).

As you gain a reputation on Upwork for good work you can likely increase your pay rate requirements, so do everything reasonably necessary to make sure your earliest clients are very happy with your work. 

I have been on Upwork for many years and still change my proposed pricing from time to time based on how busy I am with other projects, the skills, expertise and experience a new project will require, etc.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members